1'1/8 Pista stems around -30d

It’s been suggested that my positioning on the bike isn’t quite right and that I should try a dropped and slightly longer stem…

(currently using a Deda Quattro with 100mm extension, oversize deda pista handlebars 31.7 mm, 1’18 steerer and it has an extension angle of 82 degrees)

now the only thing I can find is the Deda Newton Pista but fk, they are expensive! ($330 at Bikepro)

so… what else is out there?? Haven’t found anything in my Google searches…

Why does it have to be a Pista specific stem?

Won’t any stem that uses an oversized bar clamp do?

If you’re going to play around with fit, how about just getting a PRO or BBB stem. They’re fairly cheap at $50 new and not shit (but not great either).

Des

it doesn’t have to be a ‘pista’ stem per-say… I would just like one that has the kind of drop that a pista stem has… I don’t even mind if it’s a mtb stem flipped… I’d just like to know what is availible… do Pro do a stem that is this dropped?

Not sure if PRO do a drop stem … I believe that they are made to be used either with rise or drop (just flip it over). If you have a steep HT angle, any stem that has a rise of more than 10degrees will have drop when flipped over. Can’t remember the exact numbers off hand now.

Des

already running the quattro stem flipped but it’s still not much of a drop… tried the Thomson stem off my mtb with pretty much the same result…

dont mind buying new bars if oversized clamp isn’t an option, just really want that dropped ‘pista’ feel …in a 1’1/8 steerer clamp… someone must have come across this problem before and solved it without being fleeced?

[http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1504/groupID/4/categoryID/50/v/dd83983e-dd6e-4185-8ba0-eb7d6363d77f’]Deda Newton Pista handlebars - 30 pounds](http://"[url)
The deda pista stems are bout 60 quid though.

can someone enlighten me as to what makes a good or bad stem? They don’t seem like rocket surgery to me as far as design/engineering goes. Seems to me to be purely weight with perhaps a touch of vibration damping.

hmmn… how much is 60quid in AUS dollars?

What is the cheapest I could buy this stem locally??

and if not locally… what international sellers have you guys used?? And what is the cheapest international price??

Some stems clamp onto bars and steerers better. Ok … what I really mean is that they don’t damage the bars or steerer (especially important if you are using carbon components or superlight/thin walled alu stuff). Thompson stems are really good for this … which is why they cost alot but are worth the money. Things like weight and looks are secondary.

Des

ok I’m now confused…

Thomson measure the drop/rise (it’s flippable) of their Elite X2 stem as being -/+ 17 degrees…

Deda measure the drop of their Newton Pista stem as being - 67 degrees…

surely they can’t be taking the same measurements?

clarification anyone??

Another thing that will acheive the same thing as a steeper drop stem is removing spacers (if you have any) the are between your stem and headset.

Why is it you want to drop your bars anyway? What’s wrong with your current position??

-Garth

+/- 17 is the rise/drop measured perpendicular to the steerer. 67 is measured relative to the steerer itself, therefore it’s -23 if compared to the thomson (run with drop) according to the same terms.

check probikekit for what is probably the best deal on deda pista stems.

Yeah, I’m running a 20mm spacer under my stem… I had considered this option, maybe trying 15mm under and placing a 5mm on top of the stem… but the track vet who are giving me coaching suggested a dropped stem would better achieve the body position I need…

I’m told that my body position is too high and that I’m catching the wind a bit… it’s been suggested that if I had a more droped stem my riding position would be flatter, more streamlined and out of the wind… There is a picture of me racing on my current set-up at the bottom of my ‘BnC Bikes and Spikes’ post on www.bottlesandchains.com

(I’m in the white Catlike helmet, black and red Bike Ride jersey riding the black Avanti Pista)

In this shot it is possible to see my riding position eh… see what you reckon and if you agree with the club vets…

check probikekit for what is probably the best deal on deda pista stems.[/quote]

$131.34 AUS for the stem.

$18.99AUS for postage and handling.

Bargain!! Now has anyone used these boys before? (Probikekit) And where are they from??

They’re UK based. Their flat rate postage is good, just never had any need to buy anything from them.

Yes, many times. The stuff comes from the UK.

They’re pretty good but it’s not unusual for them to send the wrong stuff, or some items not at all. Although, I’ve found that to be more likely as the number of items in the order increases.

cool. might give 'em a shot… at that price it’ll be hard to beat locally… tho if I could find one cheap in aus i’d rather support an aussie business…

Best thing for a PBK order is to get a mate to go in on the order, pick up some tires and chains etc. Not that the postage is too bad, set against the price savings.

I’m hoping you can see the flaw in their logic. The drop and angle of the stem means nothing if they both put the bar in the same position
See the pic:
http://home.exetel.com.au/jasco/stem.JPG

The red bar is the top of your headset as a reference point, the red circle is you bar. As you can see you get the same affect from a drop stem and spacers as you do with a flat stem and no spacers.

I’m told that my body position is too high and that I’m catching the wind a bit… it’s been suggested that if I had a more droped stem my riding position would be flatter, more streamlined and out of the wind… There is a picture of me racing on my current set-up at the bottom of my ‘BnC Bikes and Spikes’ post on www.bottlesandchains.com

(I’m in the white Catlike helmet, black and red Bike Ride jersey riding the black Avanti Pista)

In this shot it is possible to see my riding position eh… see what you reckon and if you agree with the club vets…
[/quote]

I’m not going to say if you need to change your position not, it’s too hard to do without knowing all the factors. I’ll give you a few pointers that might help you decide though :slight_smile:

1. Everyone would benifit aerodynamically from being lower. But at what cost? As you go lower you also limit your ability to breath. Are you at that point? You’ve got to find a point that is comfortable for you to still be able to breath fully while still maintaining and aero position. A more aggressive (lower) position is usually adopted on track bikes becuase you don’t have to hold it for anywhere near as long as a road race, but can still be a factor if it is too low.

2. How flexible are you? If you have tight hammys/lower back you’re going to be in discomfort reaching too far down. You’ll find yourself sliding forward on the seat to compensate and maybe sore hands from shifting your wait off your bum and onto your arms from this shift forward.

Me? I’m as tight as hell (my boss has told me I have “world class tight hamstrings”) So when he set me up on my bike I look similar to you as far as being upright. I can always bend my elbows for short periods to tuck in more areo if I need to but mostg of the time end up riding in a position that has been described as “windsock” :stuck_out_tongue: Basically, I could go lower if I stretched more.

We all put so much effort into getting the engine right, but let the chassis fall apart around it. If your body is spending a large percentage of it’s energy on just holding you onto the bike in the right position because of bad posture, that’s less energy you can use to spin the pedals. Hit up some Yoga and Core-strength excercises and you’ll find you’ll have more power, control and endurance on the bike.

The worst you can do is change it, see if you feel better or worse and keep it or change back. My suggestion here is, only change one thing at a time. ie just the bar height/stem or just the seat height. That way you can tell what it is that’s working or not.

Hope this helps!!