$4-5k roadie advice

An ISP Giant was one of the best bikes I’ve ever raced on.

I quite enjoy bagging Giants, but you’re right.

TCR < $5k
http://www.ivanhoecycles.com.au/bicycle/road-bike/giant-road-bike/2009-giant-tcr-advanced-0-road-bike/prod_626.html

That is an absolute steal.

Definately worth consideration, thanks.

I’m still trying to figure out why he wants to spend so much $. He’s not going to race and you’re pretty sure it’s barely going to be ridden. Why not go for something cheaper?

I bought my roadie for $280, it’s an early 90’s Apollo with a 105 gearset, 105 brakes and hubs. It’s taken a lot of punishment and held up strong; I love it to death.

I’m not suggesting he only spend what I did, but there are so many roadies out there that are decent and a hell of a lot cheaper…

Why do people buy Ferraris?

Oh I know this one

Because they’re wankers?

Ahh No…

Generally it is because they can afford them and appreciate nice things.

What about a MX-Leader with 10s Record, handbuilt record/open pro wheels, king headset, titanium stem and post?

58cm.

If I didn’t have a lllewellyn, I’d keep it.

Thanks TC, but as nice as it is, it’s not new, has no warranty - he wants the full shop support.

Fair enough, pulled up at the lights next to a guy on a custom made Baum a few weeks ago, he told me that his cost him over 12grand. I guess there is custom and then there is 12g CUSTOM!

because there was nothing whatsoever tongue in cheek about that statement. :roll:

You can probably find a Malvern Star Oppy C7 for 5 grand if he’s in any way nostalgic. They have DA and meant to be slightly ‘softer’ ride quality wise compared to perhaps the tcrA0 if he decides to go with carbon.

If he is going to drop that much money then get a custom frame built for his body size and riding style. For my money I would do a yamaguchi or if you wanted to support australia a llewellyn or Gilles. I prefer steel , just like I prefer the word “bent” to " catastrophic failure"
But what do I know I am old and slow.

full face

Anything from Specialized/Cannondale/Giant/Trek will be decent value at that pricepoint, backed with reasonable (lifetime) frame/fork warranty.
Sticking with these brands that have done hard yards building their carbon frame sets over the years will ensure a good bike, 50% of carbon frames on the market are turd and are ‘carbon’ for the sake of being ‘carbon’

This dude most likely wont need a custom frame if he is not that serious about his cycling, I don’t even know why people are suggesting it so forwardly.
Yes, he will want to be comfortable, but I dont think that is something a nice comfortable frameset like the Cannondale Synapse and a good bike fit cant achieve.

Spend 4k on the bike, allow $500 for a decent set of shoes and pedals, then another $500 or more for accessories, like a Computer, bottle cages, stocked underseat bag, new kit, new helmet, EPO, Garmin, etc.

+1 , and lolz @ epo

within this budget you could buy a reissue colnago master that isnt built with columbus tubing and put campagnolo components on it and you will have the greatest bike available to mankind

Oh… you are right! :smiley:

ive seen chorus 11sp gruppos on the bay for $1200-1500