650b the new 29er?

Bingo!

But isn’t that the whole point- as you are very tall, 29ers should by definition fit you perfectly! For the rest of us 510 height riders, 29er can be borderline, depending on what you are doing. Nino Schurter FTW

yep, that was my point. I’m very glad I don’t have 26ers as the only MTB option.

Unfortunately I’ve had to wait a fairly long time to have another option in MTB’s, and haven’t bought an MTB because of the only 26er option in previous years. Now I’m complete.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

EDIT: Pretty sure Nino races 650b.

Lulz, I bet that guy likes the ‘29ers are gay’ FB page

Lulz that FB page is the worst! :slight_smile:

i have ridden a couple of the new merida big seven (27.5") and at first ride up the street, felt like a 26", so if you feel like you’re on a 26" but you have that slight bit of advantage of it being 27.5", then sweet, why not

My take on the wheel size debate is put the right wheel size on the proportional sized frame
i.e. frame size 14"-16" with 26" wheels
16 -19" with 27.5" wheels
19"- 23" with 29" wheels
fairly simple if your a tall dude large wheels and if your short small wheels :slight_smile:

Not really sure I see the strength in this argument when road riders all ride the same wheel size, irrelevant of height.

to be fair, shorter riders should really be on 24" / 650C. Anything below a ~51cm frame is getting into derpy territory on 700C

Mmmmm… derpy.

maybe roadies should have different wheel sizes for different sized riders.

I think wheel size is a bigger deal for MTB/off road compared to on-road, you don’t control a MTB the same way as you do a roady, so toe overlap is an issue hence (in part) why tiny 29ers look silly.
MTB has more body input and arms/shoulders, getting off the seat forwards and back. Also standover clearance is a much bigger issue offroad.