A crazy friend of mine needs our knowledge, support and well wishes.

can we borrow markee’s van, set up some chairs and popcorn in the back and pace him as far as he can go?!?!

This is the best idea I think I’ve ever heard/read/you know what I mean.

My mate might not be a champion cyclist, but he’s got the self belief. Check this SMS convo;
Me: I’ve got a specialized tricross singlecross you can borrow
Him: Legend
Me: You will be if you complete this ride!
Him: If I get a bike I’m a good chance

Farkin awesome.

Sounds like you’re trying to help him out. Are you gonna take him out for 120+km on Saturday morning to show him what he’s in for? Or are you gonna just get some popcorn?

Pop-corn. I’m away this weekend, otherwise I was totally gonna take him out to Kinglake and back via Mt. P, but alas I am otherwise engaged. I was originally going to try and do this with him, but he’s impatient and I’m not up for it at the moment. He is going with another bloke on a roadie. Again the guy he’s riding with is a fitness freak, but isn’t cycling fit. In a way I hope he doesn’t make it so that I can attempt it with him at the end of the year, but I’d also love for him to get it done.

Take your bikes in the van and take turns pacing him all the way. He just has to sit on someone’s wheel the whole way, you take it in turns pacing him so you stay fresh, he’s got a van full of food/water/nurofen/assos/change of clothes/tools etc. He’d make it for sure. Depends how independent he wants to be I guess.

Carbon fibre is real too son, it just doesn’t rhyme with anything.

Well? Did he or didn’t he?

He departed this arvo at 2. On 42 x 17.

only one gear? no flip flop? that’s be too high for me up the hills - its what I run in town SS

At least he’ll have lots of skid patchez.

6 hours down and he’s at Avenel. 2 punctures so far.

Averaging about 20km/hr then?

what sort of handlebar

Is this real life?

42x17 too high??? That’s like 60ish gi!!! 52x17 around town here but I live in Perth what would I know :confused:

That will be too short on the flats but I think that will be fine climbing! Good luck to him!

just pedal fast, you still go fast enough if you gotta stop every 500m

He made it to near Myrtleford, so about 300 km, before stacking and loosing a bit of bark.

Nice work. Any info on the stack?

So did he keep going after the stack? Awesome effort either way. Love to hear how it all played out. Nice work mystery man!

He’s going to send me a ride report that I’ll post up later, sad to say he didn’t make it, has a good excuse that you can read about later.