abuse from cars

It’s a two way street (no pun intended).

There’s only one thing worse than road raged drivers- self righteous cyclists who shout at any car that makes the slightest mistake.

+1

+2

I don’t get it. I just don’t get that much abuse. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to be self righteous about how I ride and how it’s the perfect way.I spend quite a bit of time in the saddle in and around peak traffic times, so I try and be as considerate to drivers as possible and it usually gets me through each day unscathed.

My dad gave me some sterling advice years ago: “Why bite when a bark will do?”. Works for me so far.

+1
I just try and look out for me, which just involves keeping out of the way of the idiots.

A day or two after that woman was killed on Swanston st my husband and I had no less than 2 cars and one truck swerve intentionally at us one night on the way to a friend’s place. It shook us up a bit, to the point that I was told I can’t ride at night on my own any more (sad face). Early mornings are still ok for now though so I won’t miss out on my rides in the dark.

On Monday I had two separate incidents on the ride home from work where I had right of way but the car drivers involved didn’t think I did…neither resulted in a crash (phew), both times I was tooted at and one of them even yelled out “it’s a stop sign!”. Where that stop sign was I have no idea - there was no sign or solid white line to indicate I had to stop (I was in a service lane, they were turning right from the other side of Nepean Hwy) and, wow, where the person was turning from THEY had a give way sign and broken white lines…I just had to laugh and then I enjoyed the rest of the sunny, almost no wind ride home!

Yeah, if you’re a dickhead then it doesn’t matter how many wheels you’re rolling on - you’re still a dickhead.

Right, I’m off home now, so dickheads on unicycles through to dickheads in b-doubles stay away you bastards and don’t make me be a dickhead back to you!

I think the strangest thing is that most of the abuse i recieve is when im riding later at night and is completely random in that it has nothing to do with the way im cycling, just random insults and slurs. To me i think its a cultural thing where somehow when people are in their cars feel that they are superior and feel like that they have to announce this to anyone who isnt on 4 wheels. I know alot of people who ride motorcycles and its a common problem for them also.

i get the same stuff from simply walking.

Abuse… When is there a morning ride without abuse from a random driver (in brisbane)!! The funniest thing that they underestimate the cyclists can draft at a pretty quick pace and when lights turn red cars have to stop. Nothing better the reaching for the bicycle hand pump and giving them a nice tap… tap… tap… on the window when they stop in traffic after giving abuse. I have seen some pretty funny shit cycling. The dudes i ride with are all rowers (6 foot + & 90kg) with short tempters and no time for abusive drivers. I have seen a few doors kicked in and a side mirror taken hostage on an occassion.

i normally give someone a wave or a smile if i can see they’ve been actively considerate. hopefully, next time they’ll do the same for someone else.

More of this is a must if we are going to get anywhere with this problem in melbourne,
Tonight was a great ride for me everybody was courteous and they received plenty of thumbs up from me in return.
As Ringo star said with peace and love. :wink:

Sorry for the spelling i’ve had a couple, (posting and drinking not the best idea).

I know I’ve been an uber fuckstick by doing all kinds of inconsiderate shit in Melbourne CBD (which sometimes you have to do for your own safety) so I make sure I wave thanks when I see a driver giving me a break.

Less “us versus them”. We all have to use the road…

+1

Tell me about it :roll: :roll:
I went to visit my parents a few months ago and around the dinner table my Dad told me how some cyclist kept pulling in front of him at red lights. My Dad would then overtake him on the road and at the next red light the cyclist would pull in front of him again.
He then proceeded to tell me how he revved his engine, tailed the cyclist and at the next red leaned from his window and told the ‘fucking idiot’ he would ‘run him over’ if he pulled in front of him again.

I’ve hardly been to visit them since it was so offensive.

Obvious responses include:

You know I’m a cyclist don’t you dad? would you run me over?

You do realize most roads with bike lanes are painted/arranged in such a way the cyclist has to pull in front of cars at reds. The roads are DESIGNED that way?

And various other responses that only included foul language and probably wouldn’t have helped the situation.

Having said all this I almost never cop abuse whilst riding. I get dickheads honking their horn behind me on narrow roads. Like I’m going to pull over and let them pass on a short road with so many speed humps and roundabouts that there is no way they could drive it faster than I can ride it.
But horn honking and a few swerve to hit me’s and a bunch of overtake way to close at high speeds is the worst I’ve received…

actually thats pretty bad.

Anything like that is bad.

A guy in a ute cut me off once (and knew he did), so when I pulled up next to him at the lights, I pulled out the phonecam and made like I was taking a pic of him/his plates. The expression on his face was worth it.

I need a camera permanently strapped to my bike, so here’s one I made earlier. :mrgreen:

great vid mate!

I havn’t met Lucas before but his bike looks super…

haha, thanks mate. Just wish it was videoing at the most crucial times. :wink:

Lucas’ bike is in the post my ride forum. :slight_smile: