Advice for friends of cyclocross

From 6 time French national cyclocross champion Eugène Christophe:

Cyclocross is the physical education of the cyclist. I do not speak here about the cyclist who has acheived glory or even notability, about the champion who distinguished himself by fine exploits. I address the young cyclists, the beginners, the professionals and the amateurs, all those who love cycling and who love their bike as a horseman loves his horse, as a hunter loves his gun and his dogs.

The first advantage of cyclocross is to teach the adherents of this sport to handle their bike, to not have trouble with it, in any case. I know remarkable cycling racers who have become famous either on the track or on the road, for whom the bike becomes a discomfort and a burden, as soon as they must dismount to cross a level crossing or a railroad freight car which blocks their passage. They are not familiarised with their machine; they do not know how to carry it, to put it down, to use it as a lever; they look clumsy and always seem to fear damaging their mount or fouling up. If they had ridden cyclocross, the bike would be a practical object for them.

Continue reading: Eugne Christophe on Cyclocross
Continuez à lire: Eugne Christophe on Cyclocross

Source: BlackbirdSF blackbird

Nice one Andrew.

From the link Eugne mentions cyclocross “is a refreshing exercise”

I must be doing it wrong.

The easiest solution to these problems is not to race cyclocross. Ah, I’ve seen the light!

based on this wouldnt not riding the ergo be another easy solution? :wink:

yeah, he’s totally right. it’s all about the zen of the thing, feeling at one with the bike.

outmanoeuvred!

The cyclist can use his racing bicycle with tubulars in cyclocross: it is advised, nevertheless, that he reduces his development to 5 metres or 5 m. 20, which is, I assume, 5 m. 50 in the summer. Why this reduction of gearing? Because after a run or a hard walk, muscles are tired, and because development always seems bigger than actually it is. The freewheel is not recommended, if only for the positioning of the pedals when one wishes to remount. What I have just said looks like a detail, however, it is to a detail of this type that I owe my win over Tribouillard, in the 1911 French cyclocross championship. My redoubtable and valiant adversary, who made light of me in training, was remounting at the same time as me, at the top of an steep climb; he was on my wheel. I heard him grumble; I risked an look behind me and saw that he was losing contact with me while trying to get into his pedals; I seized the opportunity to increase my effort and lead; I kept them through the end of the race.

I thought running fixed was against the rules? Or was that just brakeless fixed…

Check the date of this article.

Btw, it’s worth reading about Eugene Christophe. He’s amazing!! I won’t give it away but there’s some fantastic stories about his trials and tribulations in the Tour de France. And his win in the 1910 Milan-San Remo is even more hardcore.

Wiki has a good overview of it all:
Eug

Ahh the UCI didn’t get on the CX bandwagon til the 1940s. Late bloomers :slight_smile: