As if you didn't already know ....

same

this falls into ‘MAMIL science’ - it has a flashy lookign diagram and a corporate logo so it must be right. if you question the diagram you are a sinner.

Very stylish 7,000th post !!! :slight_smile:

Just can’t believe that Continental (who are German !!) can be so ignorant of their own published details.

Your contact patch will get larger with less pressure, therefore increasing rolling resistance, No? In order to make a proper scientific like comparison you need to change one variable at a time - hence the diagram. It may be that you can run lower pressures in a wider tyre and not significantly increase the rolling resistance, and get a more cushioned ride. I ride a steel frame bike with a leather saddle thus dont see the need for lower pressures for comfort as its pretty comfortable on its own. My rear is currently at 130 psi. If my tyres are under inflated below 90psi I find the difference is noticeable, although this is all “feel” and no hard science.

Simple science says yes, but in actuality (tested conditions) tire pressure has little influence on rolling resistance.

And what are you doing with 130psi in your rear tyre? Mein Gott !!!

Science and Bicycles 1: Tires and Pressure | Off The Beaten Path
Rolling resistance
Optimal Tire Pressure for bicycles | Bike Tinker

According to that graph in the linkies for 15% defelction i need 105psi rear and 90psi front. I’ll give it a go. Was running 130psi because the tyre said it can take it!

Use a bathroom scale to better measure the load weight on each wheel. A simple block of wood or tyre block as used raise the front wheel when using a wind trainer will better balance the weight on the bike front to back weight bias.

If you are used to high pressures it will take you some time to adjust to riding on no more air than is needed but just remember you’re aim is to roll down the road and not micro bounce.

As hoonz says, I think you’re overthinking it spirito- it’s just meant as a simplistic comparison. If they had changed the pressure variable, every layman would be complaining the comparison is not fair and equal.

i gotta get out more.

what the fuck is a yaw angle?

Static wind tunnel tests are one thing, but wind direction when riding varies and has influence over real world aerodynamics and bike handling. Think of yaw as the directional wind resistance generated by riding a bicycle (breeze in the face) and combining it with the ever varying side loads of crosswinds/gusts from breezes in the real world. The side winds have some bearing to the direction wind resistance and influence optimal wheel design.

Yaw & Component Choice : Cycling Power Models

Twice the contact width will mean double the chance of puncturing won’t it?

Oh man, now I have to go buy some 25c’s for my roadie :frowning:

I managed to squeeeeze a Durano plus 28 on the rear, and a 25 on the front of my ally/cf fork roadie,and it’s been a quantum leap in comfort(at 100psi) and my averages are the same as when I had the much vaunted 23mm gp4000s with black fucken chilli or whatever.
That combo will be a standard on any roadgoing bike/commuter that I will ride from here to the grave.
Love your work spirito, but you need to get out the house and ride, and away from the PC a little more ya tyrenerd!!(pokes tounge out derisively)

Loves you back (rode this morning) … but yes you’re right, especially as I’ve got a few kg’s to shed :wink:

Nice boardies.

Whoa, that finger reminds me of a conversation (pillow talk) I had with the wife last night about maybe seeing the quack about a prostate exam. I’m turning 43 mid year and thinkin it might be time to let the 'medical man see whats goin on down below. You been down that road yet?? .

BTW you are cuddly not fat! Nice to see some one with more grey in Facial hair than me too.

Care to race me and my 22c hand made tires down a hill?

How does that spare tyre impact your rolling resistance?

Oh that’s good.

Sk- sounds like a fixed.org rolling restance challenge is in order