Backpacking tips

So in other words you’d be in a real pickle.

Not if you had some delicious pickles to eat

I know a guy and a girl that could maybe help…

I wouldn’t discount Osprey packs. Plenty of people rate them. I don’t have much experience with them, but I do with OP and WE and Macpac, and most people I know use these.

None of it matters if the packs don’t fit though. It’s really important to try them on, and buy the one that fits well. On that first day or two of the hike, even the most comfortable pack will have you questioning yourself, but over the next few days, it’ll prove itself. And if it’s uncomfortable, you’ll be walking along thinking “mate, I’d totally give anyone $500 if they came along and gave me a more comfortable pack…”

I’ll see myself out.

I guess the only brands that I have easy access to in Canberra that I would trust are Mont, Osprey and anything Paddy Pallin, Mountain Designs, MacPac and Kathmandu dish up. Pretty sure we don’t have stockists for Summit Gear, One Planet and Wilderness Equipment here in Canberra though.

How comfy was that mattress Ezy?

Kathmandu is owned by a private equity group and has for a long time had a very poor record both in terms of product quality and ethical manufacturing. Back in the day I got offered a job in their design team, but turned them down as I couldn’t bring myself to work for a firm whose supply chain practices were so suspect. Unfortunately since Macpac was bought out and manufacturing was shifted offshore it seems to have gone the same way, albeit with better designs (I think Jan Cameron who started Kathmandu is now a major shareholder in Macpac).

One Planet is the shizz and is still made in Australia. I love my Mcmillan.

Okay, I understand. I need to do a daytrip to try a few bags on.

*for everyones info, I went on a day trip to Sydney to try a mattress that isn’t available in Canberra. Australian made Carbon neutral organic latex wrapped in natural wool, and covered in a organic cotton and hemp blended fabric. Vee doesn’t like sleeping on chemicals.

As far as Kathmandu goes, I won’t be buying from them - however I do have a toiletries bag that is over 15 years old now that is damn good in terms of design and wear.

You know that all matter bigger than a sub-atomic particle is made of chemicals, right? All that latex, wool, cotton and hemp are made of thousands of different chemical compounds.

Refer here for a full list of chemical-free products: https://ciencias.ulisboa.pt/sites/default/files/fcul/outros/Chemical-Free.pdf

Kathmandu is basically like BCF it’s shit, in Backcountry skiing Osprey is very well regarded,
As far as Mountain Design they are shutting up nation wide and so is Jindabyne’s Paddy Pallin store.
In Melbourne Paddy Pallin and Bogong camping are great in the city.
Might have to come down and hang out.

Update on this: Still don’t have a pack and the deadline is looming as we are wanting to do a few multi nights before the overland which is booked. The pack that I was going to get was a Mont Escape bag, but I was told to hold out for the new model which was going to be available at the end of August… it. I have them scouring the warehouse for a medium at the moment but I have my doubts if they will find one.

Mont Escape
https://www.mont.com.au/backcountry-backpack-75l-80l-85l-3413

I will be going into the store this week to try this one on. Anyone had any experiences with these?
Lowe Alpine Cerro Torre 75:100
https://lowealpine.com/eu/cerro-torre-75-229

Hey Ezy did you want to borrow a pack in the interim?

If I were you I would hold out for the Mont - a good pack lasts a long time, so it’s worth getting the right one. Mont gear is great. Otherwise I would look at the One Planet packs. I have some Lowe Alpine packs, and they’re ok in the smaller sizes, but for a big bushwalking pack I’d buy something in canvas all the time. I’m not a fan of the European and American packs - they just don’t hold up as well in Aussie and NZ bush and have too many straps and zips and unnecessary features.

If you want a loaner pack for the interim, I have a Macpac Cascade 90 litre which I won’t be using until March at the earliest (I have other packs I’ll be using for shorter trips in the meantime). It’s the last model made by Macpac before Kathmandu bought the brand, and when Macpac were making the best. I got it NOS and it’s in great nick. I think it’s a size 2 - would have to check. There is a bit of adjustability in it.

At the same time I get you might want to get used to your own pack for test trips. Up to you. I could post it up to Canberra, no issue.

Thanks Diddy – that is super kind of you.

Yeah as you mentioned, I would like to use the pack I’d be using for Tasmania for a few of the upcoming trips. That way I can adjust and test things if need be, try different load outs etc. I will see what else Mont have in stock when I head over there one lunch time. Hopefully they are able to find a Mont bag in stock in the warehouse… I have a friend who works there so she really will have a look for me.

Yo Ezy

Thanks! I am going to check that one out this week.

I visited Mont – it’s confirmed that they don’t have any of the escape in stock, however they do have a smaller 60L pack in stock which I just need to work out if I can pack my 7 days worth of gear into this – it will make me forego a few luxury items unfortunately (coffee).

Hmm always betted to go a bit bigger, as you can compress it on smaller trips. A crammed smaller pack can be a real pain when it comes to getting stuff out of the pack when you might need it - there’s only so much you can fit in the top pocket for quick access.

When my wife and I first met we went on a year long round the world climbing trip and we had all our hiking, camping, climbing, ice and snow gear in the one pack. We slept in the tent pretty much every night for the year, and playing pack Tetris every time we broke camp got old quick.

Crazy first date idea.

Nice one Harry