Best place to buy spokes?

I’m building a set of wheels and would like to use some decent DT Swiss or Sapim spokes- what is the best/cheapest web based shop to buy some?
I notice that Chainreactioncycles only sell MTB spokes I think.
Any others?

Cheers, Horatio

Why do you want to go web-based? Many OS online sellers only ship spokes by the box, which you might not really want.

Abbotsford’s prices seem to be pretty fair, although they don’t stock all types in all lengths and they don’t ever get them in quickly (but I think that’s more of an issue with Dirt Jerx for DTs). I have an order in for some DT comps that’s taken about 10days so far, but I guess if I ordered them from OS somewhere I would be waiting longer.

Thanks for the thoughts CC.

I thought web-based might be easier, but I could be wrong… :roll:

Out of interest, how much does Abbotsford charge for DT’s?

You could try Mike Garcia at OddsandEndos.com, he used to ship. I think he only stocks wheelsmith spokes now (which are plenty OK).

I don’t actually know what Abb’s prices are, last time I bought some there had been a price increase on DTs and the last set of champs I bought was a bit of a rude shock. Last time I bought black comps there they were under $2 but I’m sure they’re more now.

Can anyone explain the differences between DT Swiss spoke models?
Competition- base model
Revolution- light, high performance
Aerolite- bladed, light but expensive

Is this correct?

DT Swiss can.

DT aero speed 	215 - 305 mm	355 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Black		Bladed
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
DT aero speed 	215 - 305 mm	355 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Bladed
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
DT aerolite 	 238 - 300 mm	278 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Black		Double butted and bladed
DT aerolite 	 238 - 300 mm	278 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Double butted and bladed
DT aerolite 	 238 - 300 mm	278 g (64 Stk / 264 mm)		White		Double butted and bladed
DT new aero 	 215 - 305 mm	437 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Bladed
DT alpine III 	260 - 305 mm	418 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Triple butted
DT competition 238 - 300 mm	382 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Black		Double butted
DT competition 238 - 300 mm	382 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Double butted
DT competition 238 - 300 mm	382 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		White		Double butted
DT revolution 	247 - 308 mm	286 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Black		Double butted
DT revolution 	247 - 308 mm	286 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Silver	 Double butted
DT super comp 	247 - 308 mm	318 g (64 pcs / 264 mm)		Black		Triple butted
DT champion 	 247 - 308 mm	444 g 				     Black			-
DT champion 	 140 - 315 mm	359 g - 591 g*			   Silver		-

Thanks, but I think I need help INTERPRETING this information :slight_smile:

Champ = non butted, basic cheap spoke
Comp = butted = thinner in the middle, get these
Super comp = different thicknesses at the ends
Alpine = heavy gauge super comps
Aerospeed = bladed champs
New aero = heavier gauge bladed champs
aerolite = bladed comps

Note: haven’t actually checked DT’s site to confirm this, thus aerospeed / new aero may have different blade profiles.

But all you need to know is that Competitions are the spokes you need.

I think you are correct here, most spokes come in boxes of 50 or 100 (I can’t remember exactly which one…)either way, too many for two wheels but not enough for four wheels.

And by the way, just for another opinion when I had my rear track wheel rebuilt (Superbe Pro 32s onto Campy Omega) I went for the Alpines, no complaints.

I think I know what you’re getting at. I’m assuming you don’t want bladed spokes.

Here’s what you really want to know Horatio - in order from lightest to heaviest.
Revolution
Competition
Champion

So, you need DT Champions :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey I break tubes, not spokes! :stuck_out_tongue:

R-Sys spokes are tubes… you better not get those.

No, I have ascertained what Horatio wants from his wheels: Looks.

So he wants bladezzzz.

By the way Horatio, >1600km of loaded touring on tarmac, concrete, pave, dirt, gravel, glass & roadworks. Zero punctures. Was it the Randonneur Pros, was it my ability to float like a bee? I think it was because I’m not you.

Quiet you. :slight_smile:

Sapim CX-Ray’s might be the go eh? :mrgreen:

DT Revolutions…sleeeeeeek.

wheel smith blades…

less twisting and they are blades…

sooo sexy

Ross at Iride helped me out with my DT requests when I got my last set of wheels built up.

H

Best and cheap never go side by side.

you’ll come around :wink:

Shifterbikes stocks spokes of every length. I think they’re 1.75 a pop for double butted.

Dan might even offer some advice on building if he has time - That’s something you wont get from a webshop.

*TC