Best way to ride in/out of Melbourne CBD

i come from peel st everyday, so i haven’t got any personal experience with the green line. because the green line lane is both straight ahead and left turn, you really need to take the lane to ensure you don’t get sideswiped. and i wouldn’t call taking the pink route “pussy out”, the hook-turn holding bay is a great idea…i feel too few ppl use it.

i also use the traffic lights going from #8 to #5 most mornings, as it means i don’t need to smash it and play with traffic to get onto peel.

Thought you’d just bunnyhop the entire intersection…

I find the best way to deal with that round about is too take the green line route you showed us. Just take the lane and try keep pace with traffic.

nah, not enough gutters…

with the volume of traffic it gets, and the amount of ppl wanting to beat everyone else home after work, there’s lots of late lane changes, cutting ppl off, deliberately being in the wrong lane cos it’s moving faster then quick two lane change to get where they need to be…

This is how I do it…

Just fang it straight down the guts and dunevenworryabouded.

But you ride a fixie so it’s different

actuallol

Couldn’t slow down if i wanted to.

can’t stop, don’t wanna

I ride that round about every day. I’ve found you either get lucky and get to the top of Elizabeth St with a red light and you just push to the front and go early to beat dealing with cars or trucks. But if you don’t get lucky you really have to just be a car and push into a car lane. They have made the round about much worse for cyclists with the new changes.

have you tried the pink line?

I disagree. With the exception of the route from Elizabeth to Royal, I find the upgrade has been a vast improvement, especially going from Royal Pde to Peel.

Yeh, but i hate waiting for lights when i know i can avoid them.

I never go Peel St, i’m always Royal -> Elizabeth or viscera. Royal to Elizabeth is easy and always will be.

What also sucks balls is when you go along the lefthand bike lane, cars are often turning left to go down Peel St, so there is the first conflict point (why the hell they didn’t keep the green bike lane painted as it crossed peel st I have no idea?), and then when you cross the tramtracks, cars often cut into the bike lane anyway. Never ever ride alongside a car as you past that point!

Fundamentally it’s a really shit design from Vicroads/urban. The problem is that planners assume that because they painted a green bike lane, cars will actually stay out of it. The car lanes are too narrow.

And they put that Zebra crossing right on peel st (first conflict point), so if there are a few pedestrians the traffic clogs up.

Even if it puts you in danger?

It’s not a zebra crossing anymore.

Well it doesn’t. Most cars go around there at 20km/h or less because they don’t really know what is happening. If you get in front of a car they not going to get all angry and you’re (well i’m not) going to get hit.
Theres always a gap because people who drive up the middle of Elizabeth St, but then realise they have to get left to go to get down to Fleminton rd it will create a gap to get out in front.

In bold is one reason I would feel I was in danger. But hey, that’s just me.