bike lane you say?

It’s a type of fabric, not a colour, but usually blue.

think a really thin and pale blue denim.

think country road.

A good customer of ours came into the shop today to get some work done on his bike. 3 minutes later some douchebag pulls up in his car, walks in, shaking from adrenaline, ready to start a fight with the customer, asking him to apologise for calling him a ‘dickhead’. Turns out that not only do drivers not know what a bike lane is, but they also don’t know what a stop sign means.

And yes, there is a blindspot left-rear of most cars (it’s worse on newer cars. How they pass ADR I don’t know), but it only usually applies to objects really close to the car, they should still be able to use their left mirror to see you approaching. This doesn’t work if they’ve already started turning into the parking space before they look, which is what most of them do (change lanes/turn into parking spot, and THEN indicate/headcheck.)

+1000

Life’s to short to wonder about karma … let 'em know how upset you are by making them pay for their new dental work.

Since this has turned into cars in bike lanes, I was riding home last night and some douche in a small purple hatch back had left me with about a foot gap to get past them. As I squeezed through, i gave them a pretty decent MOVE! through the open passenger window. To my delight, I could hear them screaming like a banshee some thing that sounded like FAK OOOOFF! made my night.

I like Country Road stuff.

think private school arseholes, professional footballers and clueless dads

so on my ride home i was silently passed by an electric scooter thing in the bike lane.

at the next set of lights i told her she shouldn’t be in the bike lane. her response was “it’s an electric scooter, it can’t go as fast as your bicycle and can’t go as fast as a car so i’m allowed to ride in the bike lane.”

i told her it had a motor so shouldn’t be in the bike lane. when i got home my housemate (who owns and rides a scooter occasionally) told me her friend used to have one and was adamant they are allowed in the bike lane. she said it was the same as those bicycles with the little engines attached to the frame. at least you can hear those things!!

my belief was that if it had a motor/engine it shouldn’t be mixing with bikes in the bike lane. am i incorrect? i understand they aren’t overly fast (this girl claimed it topped out at 50km/h) but they are definitely faster than the vast majority of cyclists commuting to work every day.

i don’t know the solution as i’m sure it’s dangerous for them to be on the road, but having them in the bike lane seems worse :?

does anyone actually know the answer??

sorry for the length, got me really irritated for some reason :x

Calm down, you must have a chip on your shoulder if you’re offended by a 50 km/h electric thing.
Under 200 W counts as a bicycle and doesn’t need rego or licence.

“Calm down, you must have a chip on your shoulder if you’re offended by a 50 km/h electric thing.
Under 200 W counts as a bicycle and doesn’t need rego or licence”

hardly offended, and the majority of my irritation was more at my housemates reaction in hindsight, not the chick on the scooter.

thanks for the info, now i’ll know not to get too upset about it next time.

chip removed

Might as well get it from the horse’s mouth
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/BicyclesPedestrians/RoadRulesForCyclists/WhatIsABicycle.htm

One thing I left out earlier is that it must be motor assisted. It can’t be solely petrol or electric, so you could be correct depending on whether it had pedals. I’ve checked the rules before to see if there was any cheeky way I could justify using a 40,000 W “bike” in the bike lane :slight_smile:

I can’t stand those powered assisted cycles. Whether they be electric, petrol, freakin’ solar powered… I can’t fucking stand them. Majority of people riding them do not have the skill to safely stop a bike going 40-50km/h, and 9 times out of 10 the shitty brakes on the MTB conversion aren’t going to stop the bike. I wish they were made illegal and banned. Instead they are just in some shitty grey area of the law. Stop being a lazy piece of shit and get a regular bike.

Anyway, one day I was riding home from Tuesday night Ride, it was around 11 at night and one of those motor MTB fucking contraptions passed me going the opposite way. He had the gall to yell out “get a motor”. Every time I see one it’s always some sketchy bogan that looks like he’s lost his licence drink driving.

I have had the chance to yell out “start pedalling!” at one though.

Poor bogan. It’s hard being tough with 200 W (although I’m sure some of them exceed the power limit). You’d probably be able to beat them in a sprint despite them pedalling. For extra effect you could yell out HTFU but they might turn around and eventually catch up and bottle you with a VB stubbie.

All of them would get their mates to fix it so they can exceed the power limit and make their motor assisted bicycles “fully sick”.

…power output exceeds 200 watts, then the bicycle is a motor vehicle" :smiley:

I regularly generate more than 200 watts, as would many people here. does that mean we aren’t allowed in bike lanes?

Fitzroy seems to be full of fucked, inconsiderate drivers:

Police are hunting for a woman driver accused of hitting a cyclist and fleeing the scene in Melbourne’s inner north this morning.

Police said the male cyclist was travelling east on Gertrude Street in Fitzroy about 8.10am when he was hit.

The tall woman, who had strawberry-blonde hair, got out of the car for a brief period before driving away.

Sounds like he didn’t have a bell.

Or reflectors

had to click the link as i didn’t believe the article would actually include the phrase “tall woman, with strawberry blond hair”!!

so some horny bloke checked her out and gave this visual description but didn’t grab a licence plate number? nice.

That was me.
No bell!!! It Would have made all the difference.
I was going up Gertrude, pretty slow, when car coming in the opposite direction turned right into George and t-boned me.
Off to hospital, a hit of morphine and a couple of xrays to show my AC joint in my left shoulder is fucked. My face is a bit beat up as well.
The cops brought my bike home this afternoon… No Damage.
I must have put her together right.
Doc said at least a month for the shoulder…?