BO Gear Chunky Toad - gear review

ok folks, gotta take a frame across a suburb or two this arvo, who wants to tell me the best way to do so with this bag.

aaron??

i’ve got occy straps in the shed, guessing they’ll be employed somewhere, there’s no anchor points on the abuser model as far as i can tell…

GO!

using a MW vandal:

when i dropped off the europa for it’s headset installation, i had the head triangle at the bottom of the bag and the headtube resting against the back of my helmet. had the main tie-down strap wrapped around the down tube to help keep it upright. was a bit akward, tilted to the left majorly, but got home from commuter safe enough.

this is exactly what i need to do, take the hillman into commuter to get the headset faced.

i’m thinkin i’m gonna try and get the rear triangle into the bag and occy strap the DT and TT to somewhere or something…

stupid question, i don’t need to take the fork in to get the headset faced do i?

Did you get it with the hip belt and the carry handle up top? These are the two points I used to anchor stuff (mainly a wheelset, haven’t done a frame yet). If you’re interested, I could take some photos of what I mean and message them to you.

And no forks needed!

thanks andy!

interestingly, blakey tells me when he first got this pack it had a hip belt, but alas it no longer does…

it does have a handle at the top of the back panel though, so will use that as an anchor point.

some pics would be good, but no stress if you can’t be arsed. i reckon i can figure it out, good point with the handle as an anchor!

I found that these two point were sort of like ‘dead points’ in the sense that they didn’t pull back on me or affect how the bag sat on my body. Another point might be where the shoulder straps meet the bottom of the backpack. Occy straps through the adjusters seemed to work pretty well for me. I’ll take some photos later today.

Transporting a frame in my Sindrome was so easy, when I picked up my pomp from snowflake I just threw the big flap over it and use Bungee cord (not occy straps) because you can adjust the length easily and get it well tight, I’m guessing yours doesn’t have webbing sewn into it, check around the bag though, there are a surprising number of loops to be found (I found a bunch near the boot of mine that came in handy).

Rolly: Are you getting CC to install the headset too? If so, take the fork so you can get the crown race installed.

Fork in the bag, top flap through the rear triangle and add straps / bungees to tie it all down.

it’s stupid how easily the chunky toad handled this.

thanks all :slight_smile:

pretty sure getting hip belts on the chunky toad is as easy as asking for them, retro-fitting may be possible, ask dave, he’s a doer

yeah I’ll be getting one when I buy my own, this the tester/abuser bag that is available to prospective buyers that wanna be sure of their choice. the bag I’m currently trying out has had many ‘owners’ in the last 12 months.

oh nice, toooooeaseemaaate

Brought my CHOAD to Europe.

Backpacked for one month with that as a single bag. It fit:

7x Underpants
1x Shoes
1x Toiletries Bag
5x Tshirts
2x Jeans
2x Shorts
2x Sweater
5x Socks
1x Canon 40D
1x Canon 40D Charger
1x USB Speaker
1x Pair of Thongs
1x Long Sleeve Shirt
1x Microfibre Towel
1x Large Beach Towel

Plus other stuff I probably don’t remember. Please note this also compressed small enough to fit into carry on the European airlines we travelled on (though, some might be stricter), we flew Etihard and Transavia.

Other things I have carried in it: (not at the same time)

Epson Printer In Box
Acoustic Guitar
Nespresso ‘Citiz’ DOUBLE Machine
Bikes, Wheels, etc

This thing has been used everyday for about a year, and still looks new. Also have a babycandy for when the size isnt really needed. Am thinking of getting BOGEAR to make up a lovehandle to attach at the hip, so i can still store my phone wallet and not have to rummage through the main pocket.

Oh, also, if the option is available, go the liner with truck tarpauline. The nylon is waterproof(ish) without it, but for precious loads I’d recommend the lined version. Might get mine lined at some point in the future.

I also have a Chunky Toad and highly recommend it. Even when it was ridiculously full, it still passed Easyjet’s carry-on test for internal flights in Europe. I had previously used roll top bags - Ortlieb and others - and I was a bit nervous about how it would hold up in the rain. Got caught in a torrential downpour in London and everything inside stayed completely dry.

So this review has been a long time coming. I have had my bag for well over 6 months now and this thing has been abused. Not dragged along behind a car for 200 meters abused, but daily use, international travel and used as a seat on gravel abused.

It’s been stuffed full of clothes that i didn’t think would fit, it has carried copious amounts of beverage cartons, all whilst looking the goods and with out the slightest sign of wear. It has been shoved in overhead lockers, under bus seats, put simply i have tried to hurt this bag and it just doesn’t quit.

Apart from its ability to survive, its also incredibly comfortable and functional. Its as if a man designed this bag. It has a massive beer carrying compartment, which i have filled with one full beer carton, and a premix carton at once, and what shocked me was that the bag didn’t move on my back, there was no side to side sway, no hard edges digging into my back and it felt sturdy.

Inside are also two compartments, which i have termed the dirty caves, this is where my used articles of clothing are stored after a big night ride or after the ride of shame afterwards. it keeps the cleans from the dirty’s. they also fit a key of pure columbian perfectly, cooincidense, i think not.

But what would a bag be with out the part that connects you to it, the straps brah. Initially i looked at the bag when i got it and thought that the straps were too thin, that they would dig into my delt’s, traps and pecks and cause discomfort. I was wrong, dead wrong. this bag causes me no discomfort, and it is for this reason that I carry around a bag that fits 6 days worth of clothes, as an everyday bag.

I love my Chode.

Detailed road test car review of the Audi A6 Avant 3.0 TDI bi-turbo driven by theexpert drivers at … From a hunky estate with a modest-capacity diesel engine.