Books

Funnily found the last Matt Reilly book ive been chasing on the shelf in a collins book store in Bunbury while the family and i were on a weekender. Also picked up the 4th title in the Egyptian series im currently reading from Wilbur Smith, ie Desert God.

I finished this this morning.
It’s a very interesting style and a great theme. Not the most interesting plot though

Just won an auction for 'Orrible Murder by Leonard De Vries.
Fantastic collection of old Victorian Crime newspaper clippings, some superb artwork.
Was obsessed (and quite scared) reading it as a kid.

Managed to get it pretty cheap ($60) considering I’ve seen it go for as high as $200 at some points.

Speaking of, I recently read Border Districts by Gerald Murnane. Now this is unlike anything I’ve read before.

Just finished the 3 book ‘remembrance of earth’s past’ series by Liu Cixin, if you like hard sci fi, you will like this.

This has been on the list since I read this review.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v40/n03/nick-richardson/even-what-doesnt-happen-is-epic

Finished this recently, enjoyed that one.

Decided to quickly slot in the last of the Matthew Reilly books i had left to read, Troll Mountain. Was quite short, felt like a bed time story id probably read to my kids one day.

Starting the next in Wilbur Smiths Egyptian series, Warlock.

Highly recommended.

Just finished the Luminaries by Eleanor Catton. Biggest book I’ve finished in a long while. Also very good. Also bullshit claim I went to school with her.

Yeah I really liked the Luminaries. Good mix of well paced mystery with some mystical elements thrown to force you to think creatively.

Read it while we were road tripping down the west coast of the south island too, which was great to get a feel for the setting.

Got a voucher a while back, bought this:

Been wanting to read it for ages.

That’s a great read, heavy! The first section, where he’s teaching the reader how to ‘read’ landscapes is really cool for general use too.

I’ve heard a talk from this guy, he was my fire science lecturer’s nemesis and would get invited to host a guest lecture in his class in the interest of fairness every year. Bit suss on some of his ideas but he can definitely write.

I just finished this - it’s really good. A biography, written by the subject’s grandson based on manuscripts by the subject, about a kid who runs away from a farm in Ararat in the early 1900s, then makes his way through South America and the USA via ship, rail, horse and on foot.

I’m two thirds of the way through The Three Body Problem and I don’t know if I want to continue.
The theme is interesting but the writing isn’t any good. The author has no subtlety in the way he describes a scene or events. It’s like reading a news report instead of a story

Just finished this. Amazing book – highly recommend all to read.

Read the Cadel and Froome bios.
Cadel was surprisingly good. Gave me a better insight into some of the backstories to his career. Bonus points for namechecking mates from CX :wink:
Froome definitely more polished and PR reviewed. Doesnt paint Wiggo in the best of light (what a surprise).

Both of them have nothing but very good things to say about Porte.

can’t believe you read that fuckwit’s book! (froome obvs)

Finished that and finally finished the next one, The Quest. This took a little longer. Theres two more in the series but ill take a break from WS now.

Just picked up this

Finally finished the sixth and final volume of Karl Ove Knausgaard’s “My Struggle”. Genius!

i was highly dubious but it came well recommended. i guess it helps it was ghost written so you feel like its not him talking. plus no cost to me as from the library!