Books

I’ve just started reading again in the last couple of weeks, hitting the E-Book loans at my library real hard.
Read Milkman by Anna burns, enjoyed it. Rambling stream-of-consciousness story set during the Troubles.
Then The Library Book by Susan Orlean. Really good, about the Los Angeles library fire in the 80s, but really a discussion of libraries generally. Unrelated: I’m gonna try and do some more library studies.
Just finished The Van Apfel Girls Are Gone by Felicity McLean. Pretty good, if a bit generic, mystery/coming of age book set in an unnamed Sydney suburb in the 90s. Made me think of the virgin suicides.

Just started From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan. No idea what it’s about yet.

I love libraries. The best purchase I have made is the kobo e-reader.

Blakey loves them too.

I also have a Kobo. It’s good.

KLUB KOBO UNITE!

20 book characters

I also Kobo.

But I’m taking a Kobo break right now and have finally gotten around to the Boardman Tasker Omnibus which I’ve had on my bookshelf unread since I grabbed it from the Wilderness Equipment shop closing down sale about 15 years ago.

I’m totally gripped. An adventure every night when I can escape to a tent precariously perched on the side of K2 in a storm during a lightweight ascent. Boardman and Tasker both died on Everest in their early thirties but were fantastic writers as well as alpinists.

Added that one to my list! Thank you :slight_smile:

I love the kobo, sometimes I get a little overwhelmed by the big books (500+ pages), and reading these on the kobo helps.

BUT, I am on a library book streak at the moment. A lot of books I have put on hold have come in at once so I am trying to get through them as quick as I can as they all have quite the line up behind them.

This one:

and this one:

Also a member of the KOBOKLUB (blakey is still an enabler, even in another state)
Between that, ebook loans from the local library system and libgen.is i have baked up a fair stack of reading…

But recent favourite has to go to… knowing the outdoor life tendencies of many on here it will be enjoyed by others (its a history of the grand canyon with a great story about rafting)

Am also a decent way through and recommend

1 Like

Anyone want to join the klub?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kobo-Clara-HD-E-reader/323889245349

Just finished this one. It came with high ratings and the author has won a lot of awards for his writing, but this book was a bit all over the place for me. A bit of timeline jumping and a lot of characters to keep track of in a short amount of time. Some moments of the book were amazing though. I would be interested to have someone else read it and let me know if I missed something.

Anyway, is it just me or do you find books with a lot of characters sometimes hard to keep up with?
Am I simply just not smart enough?

It’s just you Adam…

1 Like

DANG IT. Why must my brain not hold onto these details.

Anybody on here read comics.
Not superhero stuff, like grown up comics/graphic novels?

I’m do tired these days they are the only thing I can read without falling asleep

Coming up:
Jar of Fools - Jason Lutes

Recently:
March V1-3 - John Lewis et al
Carnet de Voyage & Habibi - Craig Thompson
Berlin V3 (finally released!) - Jason Lutes

Less recently, but A+:
Are you my mother? & Fun Home - Alison Bechdel
Safe Area Gorazde / Palestine / The Fixer - Joe Sacco

I’d be interested in any faves @Sh0rtsie.

Oh man Joe Sacco changed my life, I picked up Palestine years ago and it changed the way I look at the Israel/ Palestine issue forever.
Safe Area Gorazde and The Fixer. amazing books. I’ve read them so many times. My copy of Palestine is so beaten up from lending it to people in order to indoctrinate them to the cause.
He’s an amazing artist and Writer.

Jar of Fools sounds good, I’ll track it down.

I haven’t gotten around to March yet, looks good though.
Same with Berlin, and Carnet De Voyage. They are on my list.

Best books I’ve read recently are:
Patience, by Daniel Clowes. Easily his best (and angriest weirdly)
Killing And Dying by Adrian Tomine. (short stories)
Fante Bukowski V1 V2 V3, Noah Van Sciver (funny, well crafted, well written)
Pyongyang, by Guy Delisle, memoir about his time in North Korea. Light but good.
Flayed Corpse, josh Simmons, collection of horror comics, really inventive, nihilistic(but in an interesting way, great stories. Horror isn’t my thing usually, but this is a good one, a few of the stories have really stuck with me
Disquiet, Noah Van Sciver.

My favorite cartoonist at the moment though is a guy called Sammy Harkham.
His stuff isn’t the easiest to find, and there isn’t that much of it. But if you can get your hands on all the issues of his comic “Crickets”, or his collection of work called “Everything Together
it’s worth it. Beautiful artist. His work looks loose but there is never a line out of place. And structurally he is really something.
He Also edits an Anthology called Kramer’s Ergot, which is easily the best comic anthology out there. Vol 10 just came out, and everything from 7 up is awesome.
It’s a really carefully curated anthology, some of it really isn’t my thing, some of it is pretty challenging in terms of form, but It’s all high quality.

Pssst, if you have an iPad, I could ‘Lend’ you some of this stuff, I tend to try before I buy. So I have a fair bit that’s digital. Let me know.

CBR/CBZ? I have a mini and can also load CB* on the kobo if they’re monochrome. Would

Yep, cbr, Cbz. I’ll send you a Dropbox link later.

1 Like

Finished this last week - another awesome book from Blake Crouch. Sounds like Netflix has a hold of the rights for it.

1 Like

Just leaving this here for @hamishf to stumble across in ~5 years when it’s published.

Anyone read anything as good as Emily Wilson’s translation of The Odyssey lately?

I am all over this interweb thing like a rash

he is here!!!

Have you been DMing Emily again Blakey?