BSC mechanics

You manufacture your own seatpost bolts?
[/quote]

Something doesn’t add up with your story though, if you just wanted a seatpost bolt, why would the seatpost come out of the frame and into the hands of the guy in any case?

Last time I bought a seatpost bolt was at John Beasley cycles, I walked in, asked for it, payed $2 I think, and walked out and installed it myself (very complex procedure :roll:)
Do things yourself as in installation eg you buy a tyre and tube…put it on yourself? Or else you may have these instances where the guy out the back fucks something else on your bike in the process.

In bike shops you have to be very, very exact in what you ask for. Also it helps to use as little words as possible.

Otherwise you might find yourself asking the good Samaritan “so er, why are you fitting new cranks on my bike- I just wanted a new seatpost bolt…”

Don’t mention the ‘fixie’ in a bike shop either- everyone becomes an expert :evil:

Y’see, Ross, that’s my whole point. They did not do what I asked at all. I asked, quite simply, for a seatpost bolt.

Unless you’re in Bikeforce in Richmond. I asked the guy if the drivetrain on the Masi was a 1/8 or a 3/32. He replied…" It’s an 18 on the back wheel". WTF? :?

The bikeforce song is awesome
they played it on Ads during the TDF

while every one’s bitching on bike stores.
i find gold cross moonee ponds pretty hopeless. i asked a worker there whether a certain bmx crankset and BB had a euro fitting and he took about 20 minutes getting the mechanic to ask him, i said dw about it and left.
before that they sold me a gt chucker with a broken grease seal as well, when i tried to get it fixed under the warrenty they charged me for it.

sorry just venting.

Goldcross. Shit. Always.

got bought out by supercheap. expect to see a whole lot more of em.

Amen to that!

goldcross are absolutely hopeless, i dont know why i even bothered.
my girlfriend and i have both had a few bad experiences with BSC Brunswick St. they are fucking rude and dont know there shit at all.

i went into melbourne bicycle centre in prahran about a year ago looking for a new cog and a chainwhip only to be told by an older gentleman there that you cant get cogs and other fixed wheel stuff as no one rides fixed anymore. WTF? :?

what kind of people do they have working at these places?
i can understand not being able to help me with complex stuff but as simple as a rear cog?

i have a buddy that works at Cecil Walker that does all my shit for me…

we does it for a living so, i trust his able hands more than mine.

only problem is you feel bad nagging to get stuff done when it is done for nix and parts are cheap…

get him to show you how to do it yourself, then borrow his tools.

BSC - customer for many years and have spent many a dollar in there.
Was great when it was about the riding and the ride, and just on B St.
Now its just about the paycheck, the lack of options and how many pints its gonna buy the traveller behind the counter. Or on the couch as it was last week.

Complete opposite to Abbotsford.
Was in there last week, couldnt have had a more pleasant experience.
Older guys who care about the smallest thing, like greasing a seat post.

A guy at BSC even recommended that I just buy my bits and bobs from eBay. It was cheaper and more of a range…

planning on it but in 30 years i’ve learnt i’m so shit at building stuff…

What’s funny about this thread is that almost all the comments about BSC are NEGATIVE! :roll:

Took a mental health break this arvo and wandered into the QV shop. Prices obviously reflecting the QV rent.

$50 for a DA sprocket, bought the same one at Abbotsford this morning for $35.
$30 for a Lock Ring? (it was a shiny Surly one).

Stood by the display case for way too long while 4-5 shop blokes stood by the service(?) counter looking at each other. I give it a year tops before it goes the way of SHM.

Question - does anyone from BSC read this forum?

Stuff that eh!
It’s like those annoying display cases in the Elizabeth St store that have had the same crap inside them since they opened.
“OMG, a Surly chainring! A Thomson seatpost for $190.00!”

Apparently they’re moving already. Ascot Vale?

i didn’t even know there was a qv store, but that handful of times i’ve been to the elizabeth street store everyone’s been pretty friendly and pretty helpful.

one dude told me they don’t stock vittoria randos despite there being 5 or 6 of them hanging up behind him. vote with your feet or however that saying goes.

I got my bike, I got my bike, I got my bike…

Urgh.

…At Bikeforce!