Caadxclub

I think this is a good idea. Cross Checks are great, but something like this or Dayne’s Ritchey to burn around on and race would be way more fun. The Kumo will takeover the dirt all day rides.

Yes. But… If I was getting a good crosser I think I should justify it by racing it, not having it gathering dust in the shed. Now there are not loads of cx races and I already race road so that’d be a lot of racing, this combined with dadlyf will make for tense weekends.
Also the crosscheck is able to handle some of the really rough dirt roads we have around here. These roads are going to be a bit too rough for the Kumo which will take 32 mm tires max, and I don’t like riding mtb on those, especially when starting from home, because boring ride.
Anyhow, still might happen…

So let me get this straight - you have a Roadie, a MTB, a crosscheck and soon to be a (very nice) Kumo randbros… talk about spoilt for choice!! And yeah - I know what thats like - road crits AND cross wouldn’t fly in my household either.

But that said, you know you could always do what I did. Before I began, I set myself the goal of this being a cost-neutral exercise, relatively speaking. So I sold the Crosscheck frameset, parted out the CAADX and sold a couple of other related bits and pieces; switching most of the parts from the CC over to the CAADX. To date I’m only $350 in the red for this build (and that includes a new praxis works conversion BB, new Ritchey WCS fork, new bars, seatpost, and cables, and the odd bit workshop labour - stuff I can’t do myself - pressfit stuff, reaming etc, cutting carbon). Pretty chuffed with that.

There are lots of nice canti cross bikes to be had for real cheap now everyone’s switching to discs, hey.

But getting back to the build. Bike is all but finished now. Cabled and bars wrapped. Just have to take it for a test ride and make sure the stem height is right, before cutting the the steerer.

Its been torrential rain here all day today. Hopefully I can get out for a quick spin tomorrow night.

hmmmm

Hey Dice I’m enjoying this N+1 justification. Way to go I reckon.

I’m going to keep an eye open for a second hand crosser then. Would prefer steel, but I reckon there might more choice with alu or carbon. And yes, I’d transfer parts from the crosscheck to that frame.

Here it is - finished! Have taken it for a good thrash around the place and love how it rides both on road and off. The stiff alloy frame is so much more responsive when climbing and descending on the road, yet the HA is slack enough to be really capable on rooty and slippy singletrack. Took in on last week’s WNR and I could just about keep up with the lads on their XC bikes - two wheel drifts for daysss. :v: :100:

Frame: 51cm 2014 Cannondale CAADX
Fork: Ritchey WCS UD Cross
Headset: Tange Seiki Campy Hiddenset
Bottom Bracket: Praxis Works BB30 to GXP Conversion BB
Crank: SRAM Rival GXP 172.5mm
Chainring: Raceface NW 110mm x 40T
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 6700 11-28T
Chain: KMC X10-SL
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X9 10-speed mid-cage
Shifters: SRAM Rival 10-speed (shifter mechanism removed from left lever)
Cables: Jagwire Road Race compression-less
Brakes: TRP CX8.4
Hubs: DT Swiss 350 (28F/32R)
Spokes: DT Swiss Competition
Rims: DT Swiss R450
Tyres: Challenge Limus 33 open tubs
Tubes: Challenge latex
Stem: Thomson X4 100mm/0°
Handlebars: 3T Ergoterra Pro 42/45cm
Bar tape: DiPell leather
Seatpost: Thomson Elite setback
Saddle: Selle Italia SLR XC
Pedals: Shimano M540
Bottle Cage: Elite Ciussi

8.05kg without pedals or bottle cage

Nice job Dan.

Wicked cassette :wink:

I like the Cannondale top cap. Was that original? I’ve never seen one.

Thats damn hot dice.
Looks to be pretty light too

classic

Yeah - dat cassette #FOAmafia! :wink:

The 'dale topcap came with the bike and is the only original part other than the frame.

Pretty happy with the weight. Had thought of running a Ritchey C260 stem and a carbon post which would have dropped another 100g but decided I preferred the dependability of Thomson kit for a bike that I’d be riding over rough terrain.

I’ll be switching it back to 2x10 for summer, running a 48/34 compact with the 11-28, for the big big climbs. And will run fat slicks (probably Challenge Strada Biancas - 30mm).

The only other change that I am likely to make soonish will be swapping the rims out for some H Plus Son Archetypes, opening out the tyres a bit.

frothing!!

I you’re concerned with weight Archetypes are not particularly light, but I don’t know how they compare with your DT Swiss weight-wise.

20g more each end. Could get Pacenti SL23 which weigh the same as my current rims but are twice the price of the Archetypes.

You can get the old/clearout SL23’s pretty cheap atm ;).

SL23 >> Archetype. I regret not going with that rim tbh. Fuckka Challenge Strada Biancas, could run Schwalbe one tubeless with those rims!

Anyways, solid build, Dan!