Campagnolo Road group

I’ve found a complete NOS Campagnolo Chorus 89 group, that is it includes F&R derailleur, shifters, cables and housing, BB, hubs, brake levers and calipers, post, clips, straps, pedals, headset, chain, freewheel and cranks (and reflectors).

Understandably it’s not cheap, but what do you think is a fair price for this ‘bit of kit’? Let me know if you’ve seen a good deal.

I note there is a set on eBay, (not NOS, no chain or freewheel, different pedals and no cables/housing) for $2700.

Post some high quality pics and let the bidding begin!
You could always list it on US ebay- there would be lots of collectors wanting this sort of groupset.

Obviously, $2700.00 is a tad excessive… :roll:

I wasn’t completely clear… I’ve found someone selling one, I want to buy it - it isn’t $2700.

aahhhhh sorry I misunderstood.

1989 Campagnolo Chorus groupset… how much would you pay?
I personally wouldn’t pay more than $600.00 for it be honest. But I’m not a collector, or a Campag fan… :expressionless:
I can imagine a collector paying much more.

I suppose I’d pay $1500, but yeah I’m not a collector and I would want to ride it. You can basically get a full 2010 shimano ultegra group with RS80 wheels for that much :expressionless: but it’s 126 spacing and I want to keep it that way.

Campag fan or not, it’s hot.

$1500 is a lot !!!

If it’s off ebay, then take off another 35-40% what you value it at. Buying a whole group is always going to be cheaper than individually … yes it’s nice to buy the whole kit, but it also sells for less of a premium that way.

Chorus from that era is nice. That or Suntour Superbe makes great buying.

Piece together how much the whole bike with this kit will sell for (once built), how much it can be insured or valued at and then divide the the value to price the parts.

This one was $1000, not new, no headset or bb, but did have bars, stem, wheels and seat.

$1500 is a lot but I don’t think it’s far from market value and I’ve already got the same group on another bike and I love it - perhaps why I’m happy to pay that much, but a NOS frame is on the way so NOS parts would be nice.

So cheap, so good, yet so unbelievable damn ugly.

Ebay has spikes and peaks … it’s not always an easy or accurate guide to establish “value”. I still stand by saying that if it’s off ebay it should be cheaper. Ebay is a seller’s market and it shows vintage/classic bicycle collecting is still very much in it’s infancy and for the most more influenced by fashions than established order of value and collectibility. We all see uneducated buyers on ebay paying way too much for rubbish. I have also seen items that were much prized now passed on for less as the market for these things change and evolve.

Not long ago this went without a bid … http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Campagnolo-grey-groupset_W0QQitemZ350256059253 … very rare and very collectible.

What your trying to establish value on is tricky to gauge. NOS early generation Chorus groupsets aren’t commonly seen or offered but rarity doesn’t always directly influence value. I have stuff that some people have never even seen and are extremely rare but their value is low compared to more commonly available parts of the same type.

The shortest Campagnolo groupset in production was Croce d’Aune as it was only made for little over a year. It’s easily the “rarest” Campy stuff out there going by production numbers but certainly not relatively valuable and not even priced as high as C Record which is quite common by comparison. Rare doesn’t always equal valuable.

What you’re looking to buy is nice … really cool in fact but IMO not worth as much as perhaps you’re considering paying. We all have dream builds or visions of a perfect bike. It’s cool to bring these to fruition but temper your desire/emotion and balance it with the logic of the buyer makes the market and you decide what something is worth. If you’re buying off ebay then you shouldn’t let ebay values cloud your estimation.

Given that you’ll be using the groupset only you can answer how much you value the privilege using virgin parts. I also understand wanting NOS parts for NOS frame. You’ll work it out … I’m only being brotherly in saying take your time there’s a lot more stuff out there than perhaps your seeing on greedbay. :sunglasses:

Not without a bid. I was watching it very carefully and the seller ended it early and put a ridiculous BIN price on it. Dam that would have looked good.

Check some of the vintage, online, specialty stores and see what they have and what they’re charging.

Could you provide links to these stores?

Ebay has spikes and peaks … it’s not always an easy or accurate guide to establish “value”. I still stand by saying that if it’s off ebay it should be cheaper. Ebay is a seller’s market and it shows vintage/classic bicycle collecting is still very much in it’s infancy and for the most more influenced by fashions than established order of value and collectibility. We all see uneducated buyers on ebay paying way too much for rubbish.

Too true, and occasionaly an uninformed seller lists something with a low BIN and you get lucky. :smiley:

Though, the group I’m looking at isn’t on eBay and I’m quite sure their asking price is above what they would get on eBay.

It’s not excatly a dream build - but a nice period build that will be completely functional, which may just compound that my price range is inflated. I’m not interested in building show bikes that don’t get ridden. And for bikes that get ridden, I’m a proponent of second level is best value - that ultegra or chorus or XT groups are the ‘workhorse’ groups that offer perfomance and durability (at the expense of a little bit of weight) rather than the pure perfomance and shorter lifespan of DA, Record and XTR.

Unfortunately, what I’m willing to pay isn’t enough to buy it - probably because I’d be buying it knowing that I will use it, and not keep it in NOS condition. So I’ve got no choice but to take my time. That stash of Campag looks familiar. Yours? Gregs?

Well I think it looks quite good… :stuck_out_tongue:

But this is your dilemma- you can easily buy a modern groupset for significantly less money, and it is going to perform significantly better. You say that you want a functional groupset, well functional is Ultegra 6700 my friend… :mrgreen:

Of course, I’m not factoring in the collectible of nature of the Campagnolo vintage stuff but then you’re buying for emotion rather than function.

Just remember, whatever you want will always come up again and, in a lot of instances, you’ll get it cheaper.

Tis a dilemna but I think I’ve moved beyond that now… I have a modern bike ‘de crabon fribe’ with modern ultegra already, the key motivation here is functional and period (and white :-)).

Anyway. Looks like they are asking too much. If anyone comes across a complete group let me know.

Nexus: Could you provide links to these stores?

What about the cheaper Campagnolo groupsets like Athena or Victory?

I bought a complete Chorus 1st gen (same as this) at the swapmeet back in June. $100. No pedals.

$1500.00 or $100.00 … jeeze I know which one I’d choose… :roll:

New Ultegra is soooo ugly.

i kinda like the new Dura Ace though

7800 FTW!!

But anyway, i’d wait it out until you can’t take it anymore.

Come on! It’s awesome!

Check out the cool details like the composite reinforced chainring: :mrgreen: