campy steel headsets

anyone got a ball park figure on what should i expect to pay for a:

campy steel headset in perfect condition?

campy GS crank in good condition?

campy record hubs (high flange) in good condition?

appreciate any thoughts my friends!

A fuckin stack.

No, really. You’d be better off buying two sets of new stuff.

yeah what he said.

so you mean that i would be better off in what way?

buying the items brand new and not second hand, or buying similar brands new?

confused… :?

I reckon old Campy gear is WAY overpriced at the moment. You will hand over more $ than you will get value.

Cool if you like the look of it, or if you’ve got a nice old bike begging for period parts…

…otherwise just get new gear, You know its history and its already shiny/notcracked/notfloggedout etc

that’s why I have only one campag component in my collection. A seatpost bolt! Not including the campag dropouts, I have 12 of them.

Way overpriced. Stay away.

• Joel

ok after this I am going silent and hassling no more… buuuut if i have been offered a

Campy steel HS for $45 in top notch condition.
GS Crank $30 in good condition.
Record Hubs $85 in good condition.

would they be a decent buy?

:o

Cool!! I’ve got some Record wheels to sell :slight_smile:

The short answer is, probably.

For comparison:

• a new Record 1" threaded headset costs about $80
  • What’s a GS crank? Anyway, $30 isn’t much. But be careful if it’s old and has lots of scratches.
  • I’d pay $85 for the hubs, depending on what ‘good condition’ means.

For comparison:

• What’s a GS crank? Anyway, $30 isn’t much. But be careful if it’s old and has lots of scratches.
  • I’d pay $85 for the hubs, depending on what ‘good condition’ means.[/quote]

i aint got a clue as i am a noob to all this… but it has GS on the crank, and strada 170 on the reverse running a 52 chainring (Used) with some minor marks.

the headset is a track steel english thread with not a blemish on it (NOS).

the hubs have been threaded once before and have no marks.

been trying to research the stuff but hard to find images to match up… think i will just purchase, use and enjoy them!

For comparison:

• I’d pay $85 for the hubs, depending on what ‘good condition’ means.[/quote]

i aint got a clue as i am a noob to all this… but it has GS on the crank, and strada 170 on the reverse running a 52 chainring (Used) with some minor marks.

the headset is a track steel english thread with not a blemish on it (NOS).

the hubs have been threaded once before and have no marks.

been trying to research the stuff but hard to find images to match up… think i will just purchase, use and enjoy them![/quote]

Sounds like Campy Strada cranks I guess?

Otherwise, those prices look good. I’ve seen used Record track hubs go for $250, high flange sometimes more expensive.

But if the hubs need new cones you’re looking at another $40 or so. Bearings are dirt cheap. Make sure the hub threads are good - if they’re not don’t buy the hubs.

GS - Maybe “Gran Sport”? - predates record. See

http://www.campyonly.com/history/timeline.html

Yes,

GS - equals Gran Sport - quite sort after i’m told.

I had a front brake caliper and lever for a while. Very nicely made.

alloy or steel? Campag gran sport 3-pin cranks (118bcd?) were one of a small number of quality steel, cotterless cranks in that transition period of history.

• Joel

Do we need to hold your hand too?

Thats a RED HOT DEAL! THIRD DEGREE BURN hot.

If you don’t want them… I know someone who does.

If you don’t want them… I know someone who does.[/quote]

well if you take your finger out of my arse you could maybe give holding my hand a go and i’ll tell you if I like it or not…!

:wink:

I got the whole package sorted and sitting at home waiting for my chance to use them… the GS Crank is not a 3 but a 5 instead and it came with a 53 and 42 ring. I might flog them though as it is like the 5 set I have laying around…

I have just redone the hubs so feeling super nice and the headset is shining like the fecking moon!

now just for some rims to build those puppies up!!

If you don’t want them… I know someone who does.[/quote]

… the GS Crank is not a 3 but a 5 instead and it came with a 53 and 42 ring. I might flog them though as it is like the 5 set I have laying around…
[/quote]

waves hands in the air!!!

I’ll take the cranks - with or without chainrings.

32H hubs? If so I’ve got a pair of pristine eyeletted ambrosio evos I’ll probably never build up. They’re anodised blue, pretty but maybe not to everyone’s taste.