Canon G11 advice

Ive noticed there is a few very knowledgeable minds on this forum when it comes to photography, so if anyone has thoughts on the new G11, id like to hear them.

I’ve been tossing up the idea of a DSLR for a while, but, dont want to fall into the trap of buying one and not using it enough, as well as size issues etc.

I have a new compact, but hate it. It takes shit photos, and I find I have stopped taking it anywhere because of this.

Tell me what you think anyway, if anyone owns a G9 or G10, tell me what you like/ don’t like.

Thanks!

A new camera won’t improve your skillz.
Every camera Is capable of taking great shots.

Everything falls back on the users inability to shoot.

+1 to Leon, you take shit photos, not the camera.

If you’re not willing to carry a compact everywhere, do you think you’ll take a DSLR?

I have a DSLR and a few lenses, and love the lack of lag, speed of focus, low noise at high ISO, flexibility to control shooting variables, battery life etc.

But I can’t fit it in my pocket.

I have a Canon Powershot S90 heading my way, G11 sensor in an ixus body, 28mm ƒ2.0 at the wide end and high ISO early results look good. Could be a G-series / LX3 killer.

get a Leica :smiley:

Get a Holga :evil:

[quote="Blakey "]

+1 to Leon, you take shit photos, not the camera.

If you’re not willing to carry a compact everywhere, do you think you’ll take a DSLR?

I have a DSLR and a few lenses, and love the lack of lag, speed of focus, low noise at high ISO, flexibility to control shooting variables, battery life etc.

But I can’t fit it in my pocket.

I have a Canon Powershot S90 heading my way, G11 sensor in an ixus body, 28mm ƒ2.0 at the wide end and high ISO early results look good. Could be a G-series / LX3 killer.[/quote]

Where are you getting your S90 from? I need a new/better ‘fits in my pocket’ camera.

Houston, TX.

It’ll be accompanying a friend returning this weekend. Significantly cheaper than Aus RRP.

Let me know if you want to have a play.

Reports on the Canon talk section of dpreview are very positive.

awesome.
Even if you give a bit of a review of it after a month or so, it’d be greatly appreciated.

I’m looking at getting a G10/11 with my birthday funds. Much difference between the two?

Difference
Canon PowerShot G10
Canon PowerShot G11
Canon PowerShot S90

Resolution
14.7 megapixels
10.0 megapixels

10.0 megapixels

Sensor size
1/1.7 inch CCD
1/1.7 inch CCD
1/1.7 inch CCD

Lens
28 – 140 mm

F2.8 – F4.5
28 – 140 mm
F2.8 – F4.5
28 – 105 mm
F2.0 – F4.9

LCD screen
3.0 inch (460k pixels)
2.8 inch (460k pixels)

3.0 inch (460k pixels)

Rotating LCD
No
Yes
No

Optical finder
Yes

Yes
No

Shutter speed
1/4000 to 15 seconds
1/4000 to 15 seconds
1/1600 to 15 seconds

ISO range

80-1600 at full-res
80-3200 at full-res
80-3200 at full-res

Flash range
Wide-angle
Telephoto
(Auto ISO)
30 cm to 4.6 m

50 cm to 2.8 m
(Auto ISO)
50 cm to 7.0 m
50 cm to 4.0 m

(Auto ISO)
50 cm to 6.5 m
50 cm to 2.5 m

Flash hotshoe

Yes
Yes
No

Custom mode
2 mode spots
2 mode spots
1 mode spot

Custom WB memory
2 settings
2 settings
1 setting

Low-light mode
No
Yes

Yes

Burst mode
Normal
Continuous AF

1.3 FPS
0.7 FPS

1.1 FPS

0.7 FPS

0.9 FPS
0.6 FPS

Movie mode
VGA (640 x 480) at 30 FPS with mono sound

Battery life (LCD)
400 shots
390 shots
220 shots

Size (mm)
109.1 x 77.7 x 45.9
112.1 x 76.2 x 48.3

100.0 x 58.4 x 30.9

Weight (grams)

*edit: table alignment… phew

The Olympus E-P1 looks pretty cool, has anyone used one of these?

Canon PowerShot G11 vs. Leica D-LUX 4 vs. Olympus PEN E-P1

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g11%2Cleica_dlux4%2Coly_ep1&show=all

Don’t buy into pixel count, 14 is not better than 10. The only thing the G11 gives me over the S90 is ext flash (use my DSLR instead), 140 vs 105mm (marginal, just take a few steps forward or crop later) & better battery life. The S90 is faster wide open, smaller/lighter and understated, a much better carry everywhere camera.

The S90 is highly pocketable, remember that you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, so if you’re not carrying it, you can’t shoot.

The Olympus Pen F is sweet, especially with the pancake prime lens, but it’s quite expensive, & needs external flash. The μ 4/3 sensor is enormous compared to the G11 etc though, giving you excellent noise levels and better depth of field effects. Bit bulky for what it is.

i’ve got a g10, got no issues with it. never use the highest megapixel setting, no real need. only issue i’ve had is difficulty taking shots of movement in low light, but i assume that’s just lack of technique, for the most part. at a pinch it can fit in a jean pocket, though i wouldn’t usually carry it there. jacket pocket is fine though. sometimes the dials move around on the top when it’s been bumped around in a bag. battery life is great. colours on the screen look more vibrant then they do when the image is transferred to computer, but i’m sure they can be edited. i have heard that people prefer the g9 and g11 over the g10, can’t remember why though.

This.

Checked out the Panasonic LX3 ? There’s also that pretty cool looking Sigma (?). I just don’t get the G-series - too big for a compact and not an SLR.

If you go that route, also look at the Ricoh GR series. But they’re all too big for me.

The Fuji EXR200 is another low light contender.

i just like the look of it, looks like a rangefinder, and it feels nice and metal-heavy.
in unrelated camera stuff, i found a disposable camera in my cupboard and took it on a ride on saturday. it only weighs about 50g, it was kid of fun to use.

G11 has extensive physical controls for exposure settings like ISO speed and meter compensations. and a OVF, not through the lens ones but do zoom according to the lens’s focal length. S90 doesn’t have those, but S90 is Portable, and has a 3inch screen + stylish looking!

I use a Sigma Dp1(you can check out my blog, some of the pictures are taken with it) and it has very good quality in Slow ISO speed range. But if you cannot live without a zoom lens, need at least 5+ pixie count and want a speed demon, don’t get it.

G9 has HD movie recording :lol: :lol:

i have a panasonic lx3, it’s ok.

Yes, thats quite obvious, Im not looking for a “magic” camera :smiley:

I got an Olympus 1050 about a year ago, it was in impulse buy, a couple of days before i went overseas. My old compact shit itself after some abuse, so the 1050 with its anti-shock/ freeze/ water seemed like a good idea seeing as though i was going for a 4 month snowboard holiday.

I have taken some great photos with it dont get me wrong, i just think the features are focused more on its durability, rather that its image quality.
Its a great 2nd camera to have, because its hard to hurt it, but primarily id like something with a bit more creative freedom when taking shots.

BUT
if you find one can you please let me know.