choosing road hubs

“lemme just see what FoA says”

This has also got me thinking now,
Im about to build some training wheels and looking at 24/28 hed belgium
Just cant decide on white industry or hope’s
I have had h3 WI’s but never hopes, also looked at kings but the proprietary tool/bearing thing kind of shits me.

Any one here owned hopes and wi’s?

Kumo just built me a new set with hopes. I’ve never had high end road hubs so I can’t compare to them.
However, the are super smooth and look great. The finish and quality seems pretty tops, especially for their pricepoint, which is good for trainers. The hub is super loud.
Would buy again and recommend.

I have and have had plenty of WIs but not a rear road hub. And I’ve got some Hope/Open Pro road wheels and some Hope Disc/Archetype CX wheels.

I like them and I’m happy with all of them.

WI cost more and look better. Hopes perform just as well.

I have Hopes Pro2 Evo’s and DT Swiss 350’s. Would choose the DTs over the Hopes any day of the week - kitty purr über killer bees. And they seem to roll nicer.

FWIW the 350 has 240 internals in a cheaper Taiwanese hubsell that is 20-30g heavier the the 240. Same deal with the Bontrager hubs as far as I know. Both DTs are lighter than Hopes IIRC.

I’ve got 2500km on a set of circus monkey to dt 1.1’s. They work fine, never had a smidge of trouble with them. The hub makes a little bit of noise, but it’s got nothing on kings. I used a relatively lightweight oil on the pawls, you could use a heavier grease to quiet them down. And they’re cheap and light.

Ultegra is a good way to go. Spirito just built me a set of A23 to Ultegra with CX-rays. Smooth as silk and seriously quiet. Like nearly completely silent. At my 70kg 32 hole is overkill (not that I care) but at 90kg would be pretty smart. I haven’t weighed them but the parts list adds up to between 1800 and 1900 grams. Lots of weight to be lost in the hubs, but I’m willing to put up with the weight for the sheer damn smoothness of these suckers.

Kings. I’ll be surprised if I have to change the bearings anytime before 15000km. I’d buy another set in a second if I had a real need for them.

I apologise for the irrelevant information in my last response. I hadn’t quite realised we’d moved on to Dayne’s query.

As you were.

All good I’m sure shimano people will find it usefull.

No has mentioned tune hubs. Only a little more $ than WI and weigh heaps less.

I’ve never owned a set but they have been on my short list for new wheels for a while.

I have Tune mag 170/mig70 combo.
Both are great hubs but are a light weight nice wheel hub.
Not what i would want in a all weather/cross/training hub.
I pull mine down every few months and give the rear a full service.
They are $600 a set but only weigh 240g

owned both, would go hopes. i used to really like WI hubs, then i took a bunch apart and there are a bunch of things that weren’t that great, the tension system can come loose and the machining isn’t that great. more exxy than hopes too. the hopes are stupid simple, don’t really have a tension system to worry about (you probably could argue this is bad, i don’t reckon it is).

why do you wanna go 24/28 handbuilt alloy wheels for training? get moooooarrr spokes, for mooooaaarrr training.

I was just worried more spokes might kill the ride comfort but fouls also consider 28/32 I’m only 65kg,
Still unsure on rims but narrowed it to tb14, archertype or hed belgiums.

I’m a bit suss on hplus son as I know a fair few guys up here with them and the alloy wore really quickly on the brake track.

28/32 with double or triple butted spokes. 2x front 3x rear. Training wheels should last forever.

@asher - hand built alloy wheels is where it’s at. Spokes are easy to replace in case of a rogue stick, you get exactly what you want and you spend more time ‘training’ then ‘racing’/doing Sunday rides so why not have nice training wheels?

Hope to HED Belgiums = winning.
2x front, 3x DS - 2x NDS rear.
This is how the wheels for Baum#2 are built & am very happy.

I don’t have any experience with the hope hubs but do with White t11s which I’m very happy with. They are laced to Belgium singles. Longevity I can’t comment on as they have had minimal use. Had more use out of my R45s to TB14s. The R45s are fantastic but would want to be for the price. The TB14s (CD finish) I’m not thoroughly convinced on. The brake tracks have started to wear through and the rear has been retrued several times. Sapim CX Ray spokes both wheels 28h. The archetypes appear to have more fans although I haven’t ridden them before. I’m going to replace the TB14s next year with Belgium clinchers to those hubs. The belgiums are a bit lighter as well.

I heard recently that there was possibly a new distributor for H plus Son in Australia going to be happening. If that is the case then there might be an increase in the price of their rims which would be a shame as the shops bringing them in like Commuter and Shifterbikes have kept them at really good prices.

Yeah gear Brisbane do archertype cheaper or the same as online,
If there is a distro say good bye to that and they will become the same as heds

I’m with you, I’m just saying that 24 spokes is silly on a set of training wheels, get more, if one breaks you cans till ride the thing. I have 5 sets of wheels with at least 32 spokes front and rear…

The anodising (black) on my TB14s didn’t last through a weekend when I switched from fixed to free.
They look pretty average now. And I have to true them after my last flight to MEL with the Kona.
Don’t know if it was my riding or the Qantas baggage handlers.
I haven’t built up my Archetypes so can’t comment.