Cog Mag Issue 2

I just thought the overall magazine felt very thrown together. The design and layout was poor, the photography was mediocre and the articles lacked substance and were badly written. I know that sounds like a pretty brutal assessment, but that’s just my opinion on it.

I do feel a bit awkward being so critical of something you’re putting your own funds towards for distribution, but I’m just keen to hear some discussion on the magazine itself.

I havnt gotten a good chance to read through it yet besides the brief train ride to work today.

But what i saw without giving too much away was a great installment story on the keiren school and a great interview with the Vanilla bikes frame builder/owner. Quite informative.
There was also a good review on some tyres, unfortunately no vittorias were test ridden. would definately like to give hte Soma Everywhere tyres a shot after reading that review.

well captured images and i was VERY suprised to see a magazine of this calibre being distro’d free of charge.

Great work Byron! Cheers for the copy!

I must have read a different magazine?! So I went back for another look and I couldn’t see anything wrong with it. Good keiren shots, informative article with the Vanilla guy etc. Damn good for a freebie and better than most of the street mag freebies around.

Perhaps I’m overly critical. I’m a designer by training so little things piss me off more.

i found it very similar to the early issues of mags like revolution or freewheel.
the first few issues of them were pretty ragged and they got better as they went along.
as a basic starting point, i thought it was pretty good.

Defintely dont have any issue with you saying what you think about it. Different things are going to be important to different people. I know what you say about it looking thrown together, but this was their first crack at a mag for all of them so like Lupine mentioned, i think it will only get better over time. I noticed a definite improvement this time round and i think they will refine it as they see what works and what doesnt. ThAlso from the next iisue there wil be some aussie content and the issue after that i should have 3 stories in there so it will have a bit of homegrown stuff in it.

Hey Dutch,

Can I grab issue #2 off you if there are any left? (its beatmasterbee from BV forums). I’ll come round to your place this time to make it easier!

Cheers