Considering a move to Oz....Suggestions?

shame user ‘handsome james’ has already stolen your thunder…

Also, sugarkane lives in Sydney, that’s enough of a reason to move to Melbourne.

BOOM, there goes the BOOM!

Mrs Commuter didn’t think so, but she is a woman of rare style and taste.

Emily - don’t go to Sydney, it’s full of blokes in shiny suits with bad dye jobs, all walking around with their sunglasses on their heads.

But on the flipside, I’m here. My awesome nearly cancels out Kanye’s anti-awesome. We also have Rhys, who has the biggest calves known to man: they have their own gravitational field AND postcode.

Damn, thanks guys! I guess Melbourne wins. Seems like a pretty rad city.

I had no idea there was such a huge fixed gear scene over there. Badass! Although, from the looks of this forum, it seems to be mostly testosterone fueled (not that I’m complaining ;-)). Is there plenty of ladies riding bikes there too?

Austin is FILLED with girls who ride bikes. Hell, austin is filled with every kind of bike and every kind of person possible. But I definitely love the all-ladies rides I go on weekly, and would sorely miss having a solid group of girls to talk shit with.

if you’re on facebook search for the group ‘sugar spokes’. group of ladies in melbourne that ride about regularly enough, occasionally with the gents (like this evening for instance) but usually just the ladies.

don’t think they organise rides through this forum very often…

Em,
Don’t worry, there are plenty of ladies who ride and talk shit. You’ll get your quota in for sure.

Have a read here:

helmets are hot, hand signals hotter

Are they bigger than Dirtys? That guy frightens me at times… :wink:

melbourne cops are gnarly about cycling laws and won’t hesitate to issue fines for no bells or similar type shit, in sydney they more or less do not care or at least aren’t looking for cycling infringements…yet

^ it’s not that bad dude. I have never had a fine, and I have occasionally been known to ride sans helmet/bell/reflectors and brakes. the very odd blitz is over in a few days anyway.

helloooooooo

&

boys we want her to move to melbourne, don’t scare her off…

yep its pretty testosterone filled but as both rolly and blakey said there are a heap of girls riding around melb’s and quite a few of them who can put the boys to shame,

Whoa, you have to have a bell on your bike? And reflectors? How…cute.

I’m definitely down with the helmet laws though. People who ride their bikes without helmets are fucking idiots and give those in need of organ donations hope for the future.

But yeah, pretty stoked on the idea of melbourne. I want to stay in ATX through march (NAHBS is at end of February and my shop is a sponsor, then SXSW is at the end of march). When does winter weather start? Would I be headed straight into cold if I got there april/mayish?

Yeh, unbelievable as it sounds, they are. Don’t worry though, Dirty frightens me too…

Rhys makes Dirtys’ calves look like a girl, let alone the rest of us. So there’s heaps of us that you can ride around with in Sydney. We just don’t shave our legs.

Sweet! SO Melbourne = home of lots of hairy girls riding track bikes with bells on them. I can’t wait!

Nah - in Sydney. Plenty of real girls riding about. Fixed rides, polo, other more feminine bike activities … it’s all here. Don’t think the girls post much on this forum though.

Haha. Someone should sig this.

Sydney has better coffee… ducks for cover (I’ll admit its harder to find though)

It’ll be getting cold for sure, but given the weather we’ve had this year (no Spring, just continued cold and rain, still waiting for Summer to hit), don’t stress, just pack layers & warmers.