Conversion noob

So I’ve got an old 10-speed that I want to fixificate. I bought it in the knowledge that it could indeed be fixed, and am wondering if any bike shop can do it, and at roughly what cost. And before anyone mentions it, no, doing it myself would probably not be an option, I would rather have someone who knows what they are doing do it.

Thanks

If you want to know if a bike shop can do something, and what price they would charge, why don’t you go into a bike shop and ask? Seems logical to me.

If you are in Melbourne check out Abbotsford Cycles. They should be able to help you out.

Doing it yourself isnt as hard as you might think.

As long as you use the bottom bracket and headset in the frame the only difficult thing is getting the chainline dead straight. There are a few ways of doing this, see sheldon brown’s site or just ask them at abbotsford. Then its just a matter of buying the parts and installing. Again abbotsford will help you with parts that are compatible and installing them is good practice for your bike maintenance skills!

if you wanna take it to a shop, take it to abbotsford cycles.

if you wanna take it to the bridge, take it to james brown.

Cheers i’ll go in this weekend

Use the money you’ll spend in labour on parts and tools and do it yourself… it’ll take longer and be more frustrating but at least you’ll learn something.

Worst case scenario … brake failure.

+1 for doing it yourself.

riding a bike is 10 x more enjoyable when you know how the thing works, and which bits to fix when they don’t work.

…unless you want to end up like one of those commuters with an oversized mountain bike, crying in the gutter when the chain falls off and they don’t know how to fix it.

:smiley: