Could a pro win on steel?

Simple question but what would happen if a pro was given a steel bike with regular alloy rims and they rode it for this years tdf including the time trials, what would happen?

Excluding timetrials, quite possibly. Including TT, not a hope in hell.

I always though about this.

When talking about the BT frames, Martin Barras ,Cycling Australia’s Senior Track Cycling Coach said .

“There is no doubt the final result comes down to the performances of each individual cyclist but in events where the result can be decided by a thousandth of a second our team goes into every race confident they are riding the very best bike which gives them a psychological edge over their rivals,”

Lots of research would go into these High end carbon frames on the tour and a lot of these benefits would not be seen in steel. Weight, stiffness, frame flex, aerodynamics etc.

I’d say carbon would win up hill climbs, Unless Horatio meant the steel bike weighed the same as the competitors bikes.

inb4 steel is real…

They wouldn’t win. They’d still beat any fat lawyer on a sub-legal weight crabön superbike

it would change the world!

also steel frames and alloy wheel prices would shit thru the roof!!

6.8kg. You could make a steel bike with a modern group and carbon fork under that weight. Easy.

but would it have lateral stiffness, vertical compliance and a beefy bottom bracket?

I think kanye’s serotta was 7.4kg.
It could be done with carbon wheels and fork.
As far as aero dynamics,
In the final or intermediate sprints it would have an impact but only minor.
In the peloton no the draphting with that many guys would almost pull you along.
Sprints are so close that if your bike was 1/5 sec slower it could mean not winning.

Would I like to see some one try he’ll yes.

All of those things are bullshit anyway. Kelly was blindingly fast on a Vitus when every one of his competitors were on stiffer bikes.

The most important thing a pro does is to win on whatever their sponsor makes.

try 6.9 with alloy wheels… :smiley:

i’ve learned a lot since then… the serotta could have been 6.6 with out the carbon wheels… easy!

^this exactly (Fucken, no not sugarkanye)
You have to ride what you’re employed to ride, shitmano, crampagnono or delicious SRAM.
Wasn’t there stories around of pro’s begging eddy merckx to allow them to ride allu or carbon bikes and him saying ‘no! You may make a second on the climb, but you will lose 3 on the descent!’. So he gave them steel bikes

^sounds like schleck should get a steel frame then

90% of them can’t win on carbon.

dubble poast

steel frame vs carbon frame = no difference between results for pros. How much aero advantage do you think you get from a carbon frame? Wheels are a different story.

We have a winner.

You could easily make disposable light frames from steel (aero too) that could easily be ridden and won on by pro’s in pro races. Problem is they’d be expensive because the materials cost more and the labour/skill/time is much more than carbon. Then you’d make no money because you don’t have a ready made replica to sell to weekend warriors and wanna-be’s.

Steel is far from dead, problem is most of cycling is a commercial venture and it’s hard to make money from it. Carbon frames are cheap to make and can be knocked out large scale very quickly. No brainer.

Maybe I’m a little dumb but explain why TT’s preclude steel being a competitive frame material.

Stainless, you can’t go wrong!

Across this wide web of manufacturers, there is one constant: the bikes are still built by hand. Location may have changed, but the process of building bikes has not. In fact, carbon frames are even more human-labor-intensive than their metallic brethren, requiring high precision and skilled labor. Taiwan has proven through the last decade that it has both in spades.

The Torqued Wrench: The Myth of Origin

There is some science to how frames respond, sure initially getting EVERYTHING to carbon was pure marketing driven, but carbon has proven to be a great material for road bikes. For the average joe, steel, alloy, carbon, Ti, it doesn’t really matter. If there was an advantage to riding steel bikes, the pro’s would migrate back because after all, “Winning on Sunday, Sales on Monday”… I’ve ridden some damn fine steel road bikes in the past, but carbon just feels the best, especially on rides over 160km.

^ I read that article, challenges the notion that carbon frames are just popped out of a mould on a conveyor belt.

So with the TT, I imagine it’s the carbon wheels which are the biggest advantage.