Could a pro win on steel?

my thoughts exactly. TTs - with the rule that they must be mostly flat - would be fine on a steel bike. which is why blokes who weigh lots - fabian, anyone - routinely win them. the only time you would notice is going up hills.

but the real question here is: WHY IS HORATIO SO BORED?

Given that steal is real, i would imagine that any victory achieved on a steal bicycle would be all the realer.

ftfy

It may be CX but the Richards Sachs team race on steel

ftfy

no, they use steel - but it is cross and not the pro tour.

Pro Bike: Dan Timmerman’s Richard Sachs-RGM Watches Richard Sachs Cyclo-cross | Cyclingnews.com

Whooooooooooooooooosh!

lol @ the ATMO thing.

If teams are winning on the SECRET FATTEY that is the Pinarello Dogma, there’s no reason why they couldn’t win on steel.

I think its an interesting question, Horatio!

This year, 100km of TT, I think having a disc and deep carbon wheels would be important. The rest of the time, I think someone could follow wheels and be ok. I think Cadel’s style of climbing would suit a steel bike well. Not super aggressive accelerations, just massive efforts for a long time. I think he could have won last year on steel, as long as his tt bike had a tt wheelset.
That snappy jump that contador and schleck use on clmibs might stretch a steel frame that is designed to be super light. Light steel frames have been around forever, but pros hated them cos they were so squirrely. Maybe now with a bigger array of tubes available they would be a fair bit better.

want me to ask someone today? i could ask perko to compare his keirin bike to his BT…

wut

ha! might be a stretch is what i meant… as in, it might struggle to not whip around and be generally sloppy. I would be very happy to be proven wrong, which would mean someone building up a 1kg steel frame that feel as solid in a jump as the new carbon that I’ve ridden. Those first 5 or 6 pedal strokes can force a break. Actually, if anyone has a steel track frame weighing around that mark and sprints on it at med/high level, I’d take that as proof that steel can be as snappy. I’m basing my ideas on pretty old (90s) steel.

I think very light steel frames would cheap and quick to make. TIG in taiwan, if all of those master TIGers havent lost their touch because they now lay up carbon. I’m not sure about price of the tubes themeselves, but the labour and skill is as cheap as those guys laying up carbon. And mitring, cutting, etc can all be done in big machines super quick.

please use your media powers to settle a discussion raised on an obscure forum… by a shirtless ponderer.

plus itd likely be more interesting a question than most he will be asked in the next few days…

As it is they pros are running very light carbon bikes then sand bagging to get em up to weight with srms, di2 and then even adding weights under the BB, if the UCI do drop the weight limit you’ll see the teams riding very light bikes over night, steel couldn’t keep up with that

Right now yea you could build a frame that would do the job but…
Cycling is all about money and as others have said building a steel frame of that caliber would be expensive and specialized
Plenty of people do it already but they don’t have the cah flow for a pro team and the guys that do an’t interested in the much lower profit margins.

Well fuck me, all this time I was thinking it was about riding bikes.

from the program:

“I’ve had the privilege of riding those bikes in Japan, the way it used to be,” Perkins says. “Those steel bikes, those wheels, those cranks, those pedals, and it’s quite cool to experience that. I really love those steel bikes. I think old-school’s cool… You don’t necessarily get the strongest bike, or the stiffest bike that you want, but it’s quite cool, quite retro, and I enjoy the challenge…”

Can you get a signed shirtless photo of perko for me please Brendan?

Another aspect to consider is bike fit. With steel pretty much any fit is possible, so the pros who have gangly legs or long torsos can get something made up to fit exactly how they need it to without having to resort to crazy setbacks, massively long stems, or crunching the stem into the headtube to get 80cm of drop between their saddle and bars. With crabon they all come out of the same die, and each rider won’t be getting a custom crabon frame made just for them, the same frames the pros are riding in the tour will be available to your local dentist.

Yes please do this!

If the big names need em, they get their own frames out of a custom mold.