Cycling and road rules

I saw that preview and it looked like the cyclist was trying to get a tow … and as alex said totally illegal.

Snowflake’s point is a good one. Know the rules and basically follow them … but not everyone knows or follows them so there are times when you have to bend them for your own safety and the safety of others. Use your better judgement … no matter what, the safety of you and the road users around you is the first priority.

Des

i got a long tow from a ute down napean highway today :-o

aye. i moved north to syd 2 years back, and it’s a lot like that up here !

This is a good point. I’ve never got my driver’s license so for all anyone knows I have no idea about the road rules. To me the roads are like snaking tentacles and cars appear as a congeries of dazzling lights. It’s an eldritch and ancient evil that a man should not take the time to dwell on if he values that which makes him human.

Ride like the roads are filled with insane men who’ve stared out to sea too long and felt homesick. They know no rules, no law, no etiquette. They can cause unspeakable horror at every turn yet we move amongst them, so close as to touch, yet we inhabit different dimensions such that the all the years of time can not bridge.

And never speak to them or acknowledge their existence for it is then that they see your humanity and the ancient and dark anger that dwells within them reveals itself and their cries will fill the dank air with an antediluvian rage that no cyclist could ever wish to bear.

Or something along those lines…

Ignorance is no excuse.

Just because cycling doesn’t require a licence doesn’t absolve you from the responsibility to know the road rules.

Or something like that :slight_smile:

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I do know the rules and I do follow them, regardless of whether the gubmint has licensed me or not. In fact sometimes it feels like I’m shining light of extropy in a world of brain-decayed drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, razor scooter riders, that guy with the motorised trike, oh, and dog walkers.

Know the rules but never ever bet your life on others repaying the courtesy.

[/quote]

Not if you’re in a bike lane. Otherwise it’s (legally) the same as overtaking on the left in your car.
[/quote]

thats not true, i’ve had cops tell me otherwise, but i ride as though it were true because people in cars should wait.

i like the law in amsterdam, no matter who’s fault the crash is, it is always the cars fault.

I assume everything and everyone has right of way…& that everyone is out to try and knock me off…haven’t had a serious crash yet knock on wood

the laws certainly don’t take much notice of cyclists…seems we’re just an add on

Yes, but the moral victory becomes a pyrrhic one when you’re on the ground broken and bleeding.

Use your judgment
Be safe
Expect everyone else to do the wrong thing (and be pleasantly surprised, smile, maybe even thank them when they do the right thing)

Actually, that’s the key to a happy life I think. Have very low expectations and enjoy all the pleasant surprises.

+1

yer the same thing on a moto-bike ride DEFENSIVLEY and assume you are invisible. that has been one thing riding fixed has tought me, look far ahead and you learn to read the traffic/road like avoidign rips at your local break n’ stuff. that being said i do live in canberra, but og. from sydney and moving back there soon ( mid may). Excited and shit scared about riding fixed on the mean ‘lawless’ mad max streets of sydney.

They why do the police insist on seeing my driver’s license as a form of id…

Because you insist on believing the con. “What am I being charged with?” are the magic words. playin’ those miiiind gaaames …
Depends on what you were doing to attract their attention in the first place, am i rite?

I dunno. Maybe because a drivers licence is a common and convenient way (for them) to identify people? Carry your passport with you instead and see what happens :slight_smile:

It might also be that you’re just a very shifty looking guy. I’ve been tempted to ask you for ID before.

I row row fight the powah with the best of them thankyouverymuch.

Quoted for truth.