Death of the Tubular

The veloflex tubbies last around 2-3000 kms in the back and 6-7000kms up front…
That’s a whole lot more than a month.
If you don’t have to deal with lots of crazy assed hills then clinchers make a lota sense.
Get the enves over the FCs they look better, brake better and are fucking awesome in a crosswind.
Get them built to tunes of you want them light. Alchemys if you want em awesome and CKs if you wana save a couple of $$ ( you won’t save that much though and it’s worth waiting for the newer alchemy hubs though )

It’s not so much the tyre wear, More so the qld past time of smashing bottles out the window.

Fuckin bogans

All the people poo-pooing the discs now sound just like MTB kids from the 90’s. “What the F do I want discs for!!! these V’s work plent good enough…”

Lets all meet back here in 5Yrs time and see what happens. Anyone wanna place their bets??

if they can stop occasional brake failure cos of the smaller rotors, sweet as. As fat as i know, it hasn’t been fully sorted out.

Pfft beardo…

I’m sure all the pro’s can’t wait to be sliced up mid-tour when someone causes a pile up and there are disc brakes flying everywhere.

Bender has it right.
Discs were described as heavy, marketing hype, that didn’t work properly.
Same arguments today for road bikes.
Kanye, it doesn’t make Marty so much a Beardo, more like you a Retro Grouch! :slight_smile:
Anyway, the bike companies want them, so they can sell the newest thing. (Marketing hype)
Through axles on road bikes next.
One day, the only place you will be able to buy calipers will be the likes of Velo Orange and they will be considered vintage.

The point with discs is that they’re not ready yet, and therefore why the fuck would I even consider them? If and when my current awesome caliper’d bike dies (touch wood that never happens) or when the world’s supply of caliper brake pads runs out, and if at that time disc brake-equipped bikes are ubiquitous and work awesome, then yeh, sure, why not. bring on the discs. Until that time however, meh.

Shockingly, I agree with Kanye on discs for commuter/fred bikes. But I still have no reason to change from what is working perfectly well. But then I’m not afflicted with upgradeitis.

Yeah HM fair enough.
The other side of the coin is that mtbers have always been early adapters, not really attached to tradition.
Road have a much longer history, tradition and dare I say, passion.
Mind you, that Lemond fella used to upset the apple cart with innovation.

Best get rid of those pesky bladed spokes and pointy chainrings while you’re at it too.

This.
We all know eventually discs will take over, but in a road context, they have a long, long way to go. I mean FFS, it was only last year manufacturers were trying this ‘elegant’ solution:

Too true - the mechanical to hydro converters are a serious abomination (no matter how well they function).

That said, simple mechanical disc systems offer braking feel and performance well beyond any rim caliper system (and at a cheaper price compared to high end calipers too).

Used to race BMX with a disc as a young fella and found I could never go back to v-brakes after that. Haven’t had it long, but the disc setup on my cross rig feels amazing (even though I’ve only got budget calipers on it)… will be jumping on a disc road bike as soon as someone puts one out that’s got geometry to my liking (not the roubaix) and doesn’t require selling my soul to finance the transaction (like the colnago)

Thread less headsets, external bearing cranksets, tapered steerer tubes…

Hydraulic discs

Innovation is coming.

I await the trickle-down.

anyone rememebr that canyon with dual discs at the front that was posted somewhere on here?

thing was bawse.

found it: http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/project68.html

There is a big difference between innovation and marketing…
Disks make carbon clinchers work better… Thing is carbon rims are 5-10 times the price of alloy rims
How many people wana drop $1500-2900 for a new wheelset?
A good set of DA brakes and alloy rims will easily lock up a front wheel or put you over the bars
So why do we need disks? With out better softer tires or suspension your not going to be able to stop any faster…

I’d like to see the Uci drop the 6.8kg limit…
One of the many innovations that would come from that would be the end of the road disk ‘marketing’ exercise
They have a ton of apeal to shit bike handlers. Thing is they won’t make those guys better riders

In before “modulation, bro”.

DA brakes on an alloy rim have more modulation than the current crop of road discs.

WHY AM I SIDING WITH ZAK?!

Cos he’s right. btw, I’m not saying that disc brakes modulate better, just saying that it’s the line that’s always trotted out. someone somewhere is doing some good marketing.