Do it all bike shoe

I have 3 pair of sidis in wide last. Good enough for walking or climbing a steep pitch of a mtb trail… I can’t drive a manual too well in 'em though. Tried most brands over the years.

Backing the wide sidis. Bought a used pair (only 100kms or so on them…) about 5 years ago and they’re still going strong after nearly 20,000kms of commuting. Fine for walking etc.

What are they like for MTB though? Enduro, XC and DH?

Mine have been excellent for MTB’ing dude.

oh yeah, mine are the wide ones too.

dunno about mtb but I’ve used mine on the track (briefly), on my fixie & my tourer (inc a fair bit of hike a bike), still goin strong. have replaced the cleats a few times coz of walkin around beer gardens in them a lot, but the leather/Velcro/ratchets etc are all still good.

got off Matthias for $150. bargain.

Yeah, the MTB was a bit of a joke. They will do the job I am sure :slight_smile: JUST GOTTA TRY SOME ON!

Mine are mtb specific but leaning on the xc side if things, sole is pretty stiff and I wouldn’t ride with them on flats.

I’ve done a few hike a bikes in them and they’ve been generally comfy, only time they have given me grief was after a 9km bush walk carrying my bike back to the car.

i’m glad the imelda marcos of shoes chipped in (hi laura!) always good with the wide range of reviews.

some brief notes:

• the dominators are a slippery tread compared to the giro privateers (same with the giro gauges, but less so).
    gauges are def stiffer than privateers, but i havent found the privateers to be too flexy for mtbing (and i like them better for cx running).
  • dominators are now the low end of the sidi range and its starting to show (as compared to the ones from 5+ years ago,) but as the only sidi mtb shoe that comes in a mega version if you have fat feet they are your only choice. the uppers do last for ever.
  • giros come in wide and normal. for some reason i can fit both (as a comparison i cant fit sidis, mavics, fiziks). i wish theyd change the orientation of their buckle though, if you crash like i do you find it releases on impact (unlike sidis).
  • bont mtb shoes… when their sponsored athletes dont recommend you pay for them you have to ask why. definitely heard a few stories about them not lasting with regular use (as compared to their road shoes). IMO there are better options out there for the money.
  • the new shimano xcs get great reviews (both the ‘uber-cool’ 90s and the 70s). i know a few long term sidi fans who have made the switch. i used to be a shimano hater but the stuff im reading and heraing about them has me interested. they come in a wide and are heat mouldable.

missed the obvious pun nik

Whats with all these wide clown feet people have?

I don’t want to talk about it, okay.

So those who have used the privateers - how would these go for road use?

I’ve been using mine for road use for quite a while. I occasionally get a hotspot on my right foot on longer rides, but I think that’s more incorrect cleat position and bike fit.

I commute in them pretty much everyday.

I’ve been using mine for road use for quite a while. I occasionally get a hotspot on my right foot on longer rides, but I think that’s more incorrect cleat position and bike fit.

I commute in them pretty much everyday.

Dominators rate, especially if you have hobbit feet.
You can put studs on the front the same as the Specialized shoes you put up.

I’ve not seen Privateers in wide being sold in AU and I haven’t asked the LBS if they can order them.
Is there not an Avanti store in Canberra? They certainly stock Giro & should be able to get all the shoes.

Toured in them for 2 weeks straight, 100ks + each day, no complaints whatsoever. Or do you mean road use as in if they fit your shaved legs? Nope they dont :wink:

You can put studs in the Privateers, and you can wear them with shaved legs.

Just saw that Giro Codes now have softer vibram soles…hmmmmm

But I reckon you should get Empires Ezy. So juicy, so Polly approved.

^ nice, I have some of the current codes I got 2nd hand and my one complaint was the sole and the toe tip wearing and exposing the carbon. I really like the fit, even if they are a half size too small for long rides and thick socks.

Like all black too, looks like they’ll be the next shoe once my ones wear out. Still really like my mavics too but too breezy for winter.

Velcro and ratchet beats laces thou.