Ending soon: Kenevans, Nishiki, Eagle

55cm Kenevans road, Melbourne

55cm Nisihi Tri-A, Adelaide - These frames are really, really nice, note the internal cabling for brake & gears.

Nice 531 57cm tourer, Sydney

Also, I can’t believe someone paid $117.50 for this seriously damaged POS.

Sweet Jack Taylor didn’t get a bid.

That Ken is my size… and I know the seller of the Nishiki. Good dude, with a pretty awesome collection.

I live in BWK, need a pickup and ship?

I might be wrong but something is a little fishy about that Kenevan’s. Fork seems wrong and unlike any Kenevans I’ve seen. Also no panto’d seat stay caps.

The forks on the ken look like ‘columbus genius tubing’ i have a set on my battaglin.

Can someone post a pic please, as my work filtering has been bumped up to the max.

these work?

finishes tomorrow 9pm

fork is ugly

My old Ken roadie didn’t have pantographed seat stay caps, and but had a pantographed fork crown, and Kenevans stamped dropouts.

Thanks.

It’s real. I’ve seen a few like this.

That is exactly what I thought when I saw that shot. Its definately a nice ride none the less.

Is the TT sloping towards the rear, or is it bad photo?

think its just the shot. looks parallel to ground.

Do tell :expressionless:

Just for arguments sake: I don’t see what makes that distinctly a Kenevans other than the decals (which are readily available now). I had a Kenevans made for me during the era the bike would have came from and dropouts, seat stay caps, fork crown were all stamped/panto’ed. And every one I’d seen was the same in some way and they had to be as otherwise they could be passed of as a fake. It was in Ken Evans’ interest to uphold his top tier status by signifying the bespoke flourishes and the market for top quality frames expects the same before handing over a premium for such noted marques.

By that age very few high end framebuilders made anything that didn’t have a trademark or some little signs that could distinguish their frames from others other than paint and decals. The whole reason being is otherwise bikes are easily copied and forged, thus making it hard to prove their provenance without the extra details. Why would anyone pay Fendi/Prada/Vuitton prices for a oing Kong knock off?

And seriously, that fork is so not Kenevans’ style. It may be a replacement but nothing about the rest of the bike is convincing. A lot of resprays had decals added just because most peep’s felt their bike was missing something appearance wise. I’ve lost count of the number of Colnago’s I’ve seen that are just laughably not Colnago’s.

People aren’t always being deceptive but once they’ve passed a few hands, a lack knowledge and a little wishful thinking has more than a few people riding (and selling) bikes that are clearly not what they seem or are claimed to be. In terms of collecting, classic bikes is still in it’s infancy and there is very little development in terms of standards or collective knowledge.

Point in case: Jolan’s Moser which is not a Moser. He knows, we know … we’re all aware. But add in some panto’d parts (and there’s a boom market in Panto forgeries but that’s another story***) and all of a sudden mutton really tastes and looks like lamb. Say Jolan got bored with riding bikes and realized his true calling and spiritual awakening was decoupage or macrame. He sold his bike to a newb who didn’t really enjoy who then sold it as a real deal Moser because he figured nobody would know and it’d make him a few more bucks. Or Jolan’s Moser sits in the shed for 40 years and Jolans grandson discover’s his grandad’s old bike after he has Trading Access to God in heaven. Jolan Jnr, will be musing with other Moser collectors if his Pop’s Moser was a special issue or maybe even set that as a standard for which real Moser frames are judged against. :-o

Not picking on you Jolan … :smiley: … just sayyin’ :wink:

So many ways to obfuscate the identity of bikes. Combined with a lot of newbs and misinformation of which there is a lot of and we have a growing proportion of bikes and parts that aren’t the real deal. And it’s not new … Malvern 5 Stars, Cinelli’s, Masi’s and Colnago’s have been forged and copied for decades and even the true experts would never know if it was done with expert hands. In some cases the forgeries are better than the originals.

Very little history is known for many Aussie brands and without a database and collective input sharing knowledge it’ll continue to be something of a crap shoot for a good while longer. Buyer beware :wink:

*** there are more panto parts available today than there was back in the day. Market forces have made it viable to rekindle the old machinery and simple milling tools to re-manufacture stems, cranks, brakes and whatever you want pantograpghed in every option and style. It’s really become absurd and a few cats in Europe have made a fair bit of money in the last few years.

reminds me of the restored green ‘it might be a ken evans’ frame thats been banging around, also no marks on the frame

then you’ve got the whole later Kenevans “built by mal mclaren and staff”, from after Ken sold off the name etc. Mine is one of these, no panto, no K markings anywhere, original fork long gone.

That certainly makes it tough to prove/qualify and I personally would want to ask questions and clarify things before laying money down. The ebay auction in question has a tig welded chrome fork which looks kinda crude and unrefined compared to usual Kenevans’ forks. It also has eyelets on the front dropouts but none on the rear which is an odd mismatch that makes me a little wary.

All I’d advise is ask questions and look past the decals, perhaps compare with others that are known and authentic such as yours. Otherwise play lowball and spend (or bid) only for the sum of parts and static function of the bike.