Euro Track Bike Complete $600ono

Not ebay, but another bike selling site.

Think it was a chicks bike and only used on the track so could still be pretty stiff.

Pretty cheap, contact details in screen grab.

Pretty butter.

Screen Shot 2011-12-11 at 12.16.19 PM by henrypallett, on Flickr

PS for people who aren’t in the ‘know’ this is an Australian made frame in Adelaide by Brian Hayes who used to build for the AIS at some stage I believe.
If it fit me it’d be mine.

Someone get this…!

That frame alone is worth close to the $600 asking price.

More Euro info at Fyxomatosis: http://www.fyxomatosis.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=314:day-of-rest-sunday&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=97

was this listed on a cycling club website? if so its been there for years…very old listing.

but no harm in trying

Do bikes ridden hard by men go soft?

It is but still up there…

Would you ride an ex-Chris Hoy around on the street???

^ Dude … Spirito was calling you out on your sexist statement. With 160 odd posts, i’d be pullin your head in before ya go snipin back at someone with cred!

hell yeah!

Aluminium doesn’t ‘go soft’, steel doesn’t ‘go soft’. Rider gender doesn’t cause a frame to ‘go soft’

Link: Bendigo Cycling Club

i dunno dude. i used to have abs of steel, but nowadays they feel pretty soft.

Any one know if Hayes is still building??

Oh no I only have 160 posts.

with that logic, mr_dylan must have the most cred here

They were probably abs of iron. Iron’s pretty soft, you need the carbon to make it strong.

No, metals will actually harden become brittle and snap after prolonged stress. A brittle frame is only stiff until it snaps.

Is carbon vegan friendly.

Ahem…

Define ‘prolonged stress’, because otherwise your statement is generally false.

Ductility has nothing to do with stiffness.

I repeat, frames don’t ‘go soft’ or ‘lose stiffness’ with use. If you develop a fatigue crack over time or crash and damage it that’s a different story.

If you want to make it more ductile and lower the yield strength you could anneal a steel frame or solution heat treat an aluminium one, but that doesn’t generally happen to frames unless you’re racing in a furnace.

Without going into a whole diatribe about Young’s Modulus and steel tensility (cue Blakey) I’ll just cut to the chase and say that steel frames break because of poor manufacturing, poor design or previous damage. It’s a misconception that steel frames weaken or “go soft”, often perpetuated by well meaning but ill advised folklore or myth’s. Most any framebuilder, and certainly any metallurgist will readily argue that steels used for bicycles aren’t subjected to the kind of stress/pressures that would weaken or fatigue the metal.

Most of the misinformation was from when racers would get their new frames for the season. At first they felt stiff, usually because they weren’t as fit from the lay-off (off season/low wattage) and by the end of the racing year when they were fitter/stronger (higher wattage) the same frames felt noodley or more flexy. Rider’s would feel there frame had changed when it was their own conditioning that had improved. To make things worse, many framebuilders (especially Italians) were also happy to say “yeah, the frame’s toast … I’ll build you another one for the next year’s season” thus perpetuating the myth. This folklore was repeated often enough, and like many things becomes becomes fact after being repeated and passed on as truth.

// JustDave >>> Hpallet’s a good man and isn’t having a go at me or being sexist. We also know each other well :wink: