Fixed at Paris-Brest-Paris

Fixedgeargallery has a few pages of pics of some of the fixed gear cycles at PBP this year.

There’s the whole gammut of setups there - track bikes, ye olde fixed conversions, kookie saddle angles, the obligitory weathered Brooks saddles and more. Maybe some tips for those doing the ATB fixed?

My fave:

Gets points for kookie frame, kookie saddle angle and it’s an old conversion!

who could you sit on that fucking thing?!

If you’re a eunuch maybe

:-o

haha. funny shit. that’s me in the background with the hillbrick. HI MUM!

there were a lot of crazy bikes there. three german brothers on a triple, upright trikes and this guy on this ANCIENT bike that had two gears. One speed when you pedal forward and another speed when you pedal backwards. It had two chains, one of which was a figure of 8 using two opposing freewheels. The guy had a string of garlic gloves hanging off the handlebars and was kitted out with a beret, a scarf and the white and black striped top like mimes wear.

Probably not a conversion and most likely not old. Can’t remember the guy that makes these frames but there was a write up about him in FGG when they covered the American Handmade Bicycle Show. From memory he hadn’t been building for very long. My guess is, the bike was always meant to be a fixed gear from the lack of cable guides and derailer hangers. The advantage of using reverse horizontal drops in this case would be to make it easier to take the wheel off which could be an important factor if you’re into long, self-supported rides like the PBP.

Des

I believe littlewheelsandbig rode fixed as well?

Probably not a conversion and most likely not old. Can’t remember the guy that makes these frames but there was a write up about him in FGG when they covered the American Handmade Bicycle Show. From memory he hadn’t been building for very long. My guess is, the bike was always meant to be a fixed gear from the lack of cable guides and derailer hangers. The advantage of using reverse horizontal drops in this case would be to make it easier to take the wheel off which could be an important factor if you’re into long, self-supported rides like the PBP.

Des
[/quote]

Those curved stays are familiar to me too… Terraplane comes to mind?

google–> Aha, Kirk frames, which looks like what the DT decal says, and the ST cluster has the terraplane decal too.
http://www.kirkframeworks.com/news.htm

Still, that saddle angle!

Maybe his bars are really high.

Maybe he has no testicles.

Maybe she was getting off on all the rough patches of road :wink:

For 1200kms? 'core.

Sit on it and lean back, it works for me (though not with that much tilt) (and yes, I do have testicles).

Not this time - the fixed Moulton Stowaway stayed at home. I rode a 2 day old Moulton TSR30 with too many gears and finished sub-80, then a fortnight cycletouring around Normandy. Now we’re back in Oz, it gets converted to be Mrs LWaB’s bike.

You can tell the photo was taken after the finish. It rained a lot this year, supposedly worse than in 1987, the ‘wet PBP’.