Fixies a cycling craze that won't stop

FIXIE GC X Courier Mail

Bennett Rust [user: Designjerk]

Fixies a cycling craze that won’t stop | Courier Mail

THE latest bike craze to take off will be impossible to put the brakes on.

Fixed bike riding, where the fearless use no braking devices and must continually pedal, is being fuelled by a documentary on You Tube which shows the thrills of riding down the hills of San Francisco.

Fixies have finally reached Australia’s busiest cities as a form of transport and their hub in Queensland is the Gold Coast where 22-year-old graphic designer Bennett Rust began building a website on the recreational sport two years ago.

“We are getting 12,000 hits a month on the internet. We have about 10 to 15 people on a regular social ride and 30 to 40 at organised events,” Mr Rust said.

While the trend has taken off, it is not an easy one to hop on board.

“A lot of people jump on a trend and hype it up. We’ve just coined a term - and that’s “just pedal”. That’s the zen of it for us,” Mr Rust said.

“It’s much like the skateboard craze a few years ago. A lot of people want to be skateboarders but only a few can do it.”

The trick on riding a free-wheeler bike which lacks gears is not coasting and pedalling faster, even when you are going downhill. And braking involves sliding your bike into a skid so as not to scrape your knees.

Couriers or messengers use the old-style bikes in the cities to deliver parcels, racing past congested traffic and pedestrians.

“You have to teach yourself how to pedal again. Sometimes it can get a bit hairy and bit risky,” Mr Rust said.

Gary Perrin, a sales mechanic at the 25-year-old Mermaid Beach-based family business Mike’s Bikes, has tracked the trend of fixies which cost at least $500.

“There’s growing niche market. It’s quite popular. Most of the riders are between their early 20s and mid-30s,” Mr Perrin said.

“I think people want to ride something that gives them a bit of a thrill. They’re riding around without no brakes. These things aren’t easy to ride.”

The trick on riding a free-wheeler bike which lacks gears is not coasting and pedalling faster, even when you are going downhill. And braking involves sliding your bike into a skid so as not to scrape your knees.

What the…?

wow, this article is like a time machine that transported me to 2007.

i wonder if the courier mail could take me back to 1990. then i could spell “among” correctly and win that damn spelling bee.

nice one bennett :wink:

soo zen maaaaaaaaan :wink:

What about people in their late 20s? Yeah thats right hipsters are riding cross bikes now… Fuck we’re outta touch.

“champagne” did me in, in 1972. a couple of years later it was “soliloquy”

still burns.

ESL Journalism.

soliloquy. man, that’s a tough one.

<blam.gif>

haha, i competed in a 1988 spelling bee as a grade 1 student which focused on transport words. i was selected due to my ability to spell plane, car, tram etc…

then i get to the comp and they rip out ‘fuselage’ and ‘undercarriage’, boy was i out of my depth!!!

Tarpaulin lost me a spelling comp in primary school. I was cut at the time. I’m an awesome speller.

I had to step in at the final hour for year 7 spelling champs as I was 2nd in my class and the dude that won punked out and didn’t show.
I thought ‘what the hell, I’ll get at least one right’…

…WRONG

permission to use this as my sig? I can’t stop laughing…

Yours is pretty good too daniel ! lolz mate.

^ Yeah, true story too…haha

of course

haha, before i even opened the thread i knew this had to be a courier mail article.

The trick on riding a free-wheeler bike which lacks gears is not coasting and pedalling faster.

wut?

They’re riding around without no brakes.

double negative gets a double wut?

jeevus, if you’re gonna climb into the wayback machine you probs should get your facts right or you’ll end up in a gunfight with Buford “Mad Dog” Tannen.

the chance for redemption is upon us:

http://www.emergingwritersfestival.org.au/event-detail/?event_id=34