Fork fouls frame - Integrate headset - Look KX frame

Yeah Looks a shocker for this, There cranks that only fit there bb, There stems that only fir there frames, and forks as well.

pete at bio mechanics in adelaide eats these issues for breakfast

went to a few bike stores…

the only store in canb that sells Looks is going to call the distributor tomoz

it seems the Au Look distributor… and Look in general are fuckin useless.

After a lot of research, it appears that some Giants use a race inside the headtube for integrated headsets, and also Hope’s integrated headset comes with such races (which is a bit odd).

Hope’s website also has a part number: HS128 Integrated Bearing Seat

So options are:

1. See if i can get the Hope part separate
  2. Buy the whole hope integrated headset ($100)
  3. Buy an OEM giant headset with spacers (saw an image of one on an AU site, but who knows if it comes with it - Giant Part number 49008 - TCR Integrated Headset)

Then I may have to get some custom washers made to get the correct spacing… but there is a shop on ebay for that.

reference pics:
giant headset, note the spacers (the top bearing is sitting on the top spacer for this pic, note the dif metal colour)
1005-49008.jpg

hope integrated headset, with spacers inbetween bearings
hope-integrated-hs-zoom.jpg

forum discussion on similar issue wth a giant bicycle:
BikeRadar.com • View topic - Headset for Giant TCX frame

Buy a new bike.

soon

[b]Solved

[/b]Because the distributor was non responsive after many emails and many calls from a bike shop that deals with Look in canb I had to go a different route.

As mentioned, some Giants use integrated headsets, and their headtube surfaces are also flat and require a 45degree race.

So I bought a early year Giant TCR headset (as mentioned previously), which was giant branded FSA headset.

Because look use floating crown races on their forks, and I wont be using a look fork, i needed to add some space between the headtube and the angled race.

I found a place on ebay (user ‘profilemen’ - ebay UK) that does custom washers so ordered some washers, only ended up needing one of them though:
41mm OD , 33mm ID, 2mm thick (you can see this on the top left of the scale on the picture below.)

I also used 6 canecreek .5mm headset shims/spacers, as the carbon FSA top cover I am using (bottom right on scales in pic) requires them. However, you could use the Giant TCR top cover without the need for any of these canecreek spacers.

So basically the setup I am using is (from the fork up):
Crown race (using the one from the giant TCR headset as it has a split for easy removal)
Standard integrated bearing (came with headset)
45 degree spacer (came with headset)
2mm 41mm OD, 33mm ID Custom alloy washer (custom)

45 degree spacer (came with headset)
Standard integrated bearing (came with headset)
6x 0.5mm Cane creek shims
FSA Carbon integrated headset top cover (this requires the cane creek shims or else it fouls the headtube, if i would have used the giant low profile top cover I wouldn’t need the shims)
Top cap/bolt

Bottom of heatube showing: custom spacer > 45 degree race > bearing