headset not steering straight

Hi guys,

Had a real shitty old, old, old headset in my beater that was really rough and pitted and caused the bike to always drift to the left.

Just put in a brand new tange one. Now this isn’t a problem so much as curiosity as the headset is absolutely smooth as butter, but the bike still drifts to the left. The reason I say that it’s not a problem is that it is only noticeable when riding with no hands.

Both wheels are dead true, the wheels are both straight in their respective dropouts.
It’s not that I’m just spastic either, I have the exact same headset in another bike that I can ride with no hands no worries.

Anyone got any ideas?
inb4 all in your head

bent forks/frame

Maybe your frame isn’t straight.

Or maybe our left ball/boob is bigger than your right ball/boob.

Or maybe you should get out of the velodrome.*

*But seriously, roads typically have a slight camber that runs from the centre to the side/gutter to aid with water drainage.

swap out to a different fork and see what happens.If that doesn’t work you frame may be slightly skewiff.

yep i’ll say forks

All good input thanks guys, I have a feeling it’s not the cambre of the road, nor the frame.
Could be the forks, but I’ve inspected them closely and if they’re bent anywhere, it can only be at the fork ends, and only the slightest. Of course a small bend here would have the greatest effect on the steering because it’s the furthest from the tire.

Will keep playing around.

did you face the headtube before installing the new headset?

Bit of an update.

No I didn’t face the headtube, and it looks like it hasn’t been faced since it was first built.

That said, I put the wheel in backwards, and it rides straight. The wheel is true and dished correctly though, so with no reasoning, I put the wheel back in forwards, but put the tire in backwards. rides straight. Put the tire back forwards, drifts to the left.

There are obviously a heap of variables here, and I find it hard to believe that the way the tire is facing affects the steering that much, especially when it steers straight facing backwards.

The tire is not new by any means, but it should be evenly worn, never used as a back tire, never skidded on.

Frankly I’m just going to leave it forwards as when riding I can’t feel the drift at all as long as my hands are on the bars.

Hey bro your forks are probably bent, especially with do many variables.

qft

Take all the spare change out of your left pocket and put it in your right pocket.

Hey man, sounds like bent forks, idk why tire on backwards stops that shit. Probably in your mind. Try installing new forks.
Failing that, keep your hands on your bars.

Hey bro your forks are probably bent, especially with do many variables.

Hey man, sounds like bent forks, idk why tire on backwards stops that shit. Probably in your mind. Try installing new forks.

I think dylan thinks your forks are bent bro.

You goddamn right hizzle maclizze