Helmets - Australian Standards

I’m looking to upgrade my helmet, and I’ve been researching on the Australian Standard for helmets.

I’m aware that if I bought one from overseas, there would likely be no Australian standards sticker. As I don’t race, the inspection side of things isn’t really a problem.
But in the case of an accident, if the helmet doesn’t have one of these stickers, am I likely to have no cover from insurance because my helmet doesn’t meet the Australian Standards?

Any help would be great.
Cheers.

Take the OZ standards out of your old helmet and put it in your new one.

Why don’t you call your insurance company and find out? Only they can tell you for sure.

I tried to take the sticker out of an old helmet to put in one I bought from OS but it doesn’t work. The stickers are made in such a way that they fall apart if you try to remove them.

Would an Insurance company even ask about the helmet and if is Australian standards compliant :?

Well for starters I would hope if you got one from overseas that it is of an equivalent standard.

But in the case of an accident, where you sustained head injuries, and you were going to get a large pay out they will most likely want to check the condition of your helmet. If you are riding with a helmet that has been in a previous crash, or that is really old and no longer fit for use, they wouldn’t pay out. Why would they? They are always looking at ways to not have to pay.

The helmet I was planning to get does meet with the US’ CPSC helmet safety standard. I was just unsure of whether that would be equivalent to our Australian one.

In the event of a crash, if you’ve bought one that you can ‘prove’ is the same as one sold here, you ‘might’ have half a leg to stand on.

I wouldn’t risk it tho. I’m all for a discount or good deal online, but when it comes to safety equip, i’d buy at a shop. They might even help you out with prices on other stuff you need too.

It is a no brainer (bad choice of phrase!!)
Unlike most of the civilised world Australia makes the wearing of bicycle helmets compulsary and they have their own standards that is an extra crush test.

If you ride without a helmet or with a helmet, that is not to the Australian standards, you are breaking the law of the land- good luck trying to get a payout. Also worth mentioning if you are involved in an incident while racing using a non Aussie standard helmet you can be made liable for any claims.

And yes in the case of a head injury helmets are always checked by officials and paramadics, mainly for damage that may lead to problems later- but also for standards.

When riding, you are required by law to wear an approved bicycle helmet securely fitted and fastened on your head.

It seems that having the sticker is not the legal requirement - having a helmet that conforms to the standard is the requirement.

I bought a Giro from Wiggle which does not have the Australian standards sticker, however, that same model helmet is for sale in Australia so I know that it must have passed the requirements of the standard.

Australian standards are renowned as the most stringent in the world, so buying a reputable helmet from the US does not mean it will be roadworthy in Australia. One of the recent Specialized helmets comes to mind as one that passed US tests, but not Australian tests.

+1

Here’s a thought - what about all the Euro riders here for the TDU? Surely they’re not all wearing Australian standard brain buckets. Reckon it’d be a grey area as far as the law is concerned.

No all been covered already :

[i]Ref :Cycling Australia Technical Regulations (Road and Track) 2010 Section 1 Rule 3.2

For UCI road calendar events, competitors shall wear an approved AS/NZ 2063, ANSI, Snell or EN bicycle helmet. International trade team competitors may wear a helmet approved by the UCI, or the country that they are registered with, subject to the approval by local authorities.
To obtain such approval (ref 3.5.04 above), the promoter must apply to conduct the event under an exemption permitting the wearing of non- Australian Standard helmets. Such an application must be made under the special events legislation of the respective State in which the event is being conducted.
The events for which such an application may be sought include, but may not be limited to;
␣ UCI Road World Cups (Men and Women) ␣ One-day Road Races or multi-stage Tours which have been approved for inclusion on the UCI calendar
␣ The Australian Open Road Championships or similar event, where overseas or professionally contracted riders with a UCI registered team are competing and the results contribute to UCI ranking points.
[/i]

Some helmets I considered by Bern and Protec were just for skating and didn’t have the right foam lining to pass road regulations… it’s always good to check

It might not be the same helmet. Same shell, probably, but we get different straps and sometimes buckles to pass our tests.

Actually, Snell tests were reputed to be the most stringent.

I was told by a Giro sales rep that they make the same helmets for all markets. If the helmet doesn’t pass (I believe all Giros do) - then it doesn’t go on sale in Australia. It’s too expensive to make modifications for such a small market. That sentiment is echoed in the article below. I will check though.

Snell you say? You should read this.

And this.

According to Mr Gralton, Australia is recognised internationally as a leader in the field, in terms both of legislating for helmets’ compulsory use and in the stringency of the Standards themselves – which in some circumstances may be mandatory – and which are arguably the most comprehensive in the world.

road rules ‘approved helmet’
CA rules ‘australian standards approved helmet’

The issue when you’re on the street is MAIB cover. If you’re are injured in a road accident and you aren’t wearing a helmet with an Australian Standard Approved sticker, you won’t be eligible for MAIB cover, which means you’re paying for all your hospital fees and probably a whole lot of other accident-related stuff on top.

The extra cost of buying local is worth it, given that as cyclists we don’t have to pay registration to use the road (rego covers the MAIB costs).

how about buying an ‘australian standards’ cheapo helmet and chucking it in the cupboard.

Then if you ever are in an accident (knock on wood) you just show em your aussie standards one.

Of course after you bash it around a bit to make it look authentic

I stand corrected.

When your head’s been pulled out from under a car and the only people collecting your belongings are paramedics, I don’t imagine you’ll have much time to duck home and grab your authentic helmet.