Helmets - Australian Standards

LOL- but I shouldn’t laugh.

"Excuse me Mr. Paramedic, do you mind if we swing passed by place so that I partake in some insurance fraud? "

i didnt think insurance companies asses your damaged gear on the way back in the ambo? :stuck_out_tongue:

Dosnt it take a few days before you make a claim, then they come out and asses gear? Are there written reports (police or other) of some sort that give detailed descriptions of the gear damaged?brand, model etc?

I’ve only ever made one claim on bike insurance and that was probably 10 years ago now. The total damage was quoted at ~$1000 and they never asked to see anything.

A friend of mine was hit by a car recently and his bike is a write off so I’m really interested to see whether his insurer wants to see the bike. Especially because even though it’s a financial write off it still has plenty of useable parts, including the entire groupset.

My total damage bill for personal effects was a few grand - bike, clothes, helmet, phone etc. Initially they did try to arrange to get an assessor to look at the bike, but that never eventuated and everything was paid out at quoted replacement value minus depreciation.

And of more relevance to the thread - I was wearing a Giro Ionos with no AS sticker. I’m not advocating this, but IMO it’s not the sticker which is the issue. In my case, if I recal correctly, the paramedic inspected damage sustained by the helmet only. No one asked about my helmet after - it had no bearing on any claim.

I’m talking about MAIB cover, not your personal insurance company. Not sure how it applies if you have private health care either.

A bloke I know had a serious accident and was covered by MAIB for hospital bills and income for his 6 months out of action. They checked his helmet, and if it hadn’t been legit he would have got jack shit.

when did they check his helmet? was it taken as ‘evidence’ at the time of the accident? or did the assesor come later on?