Helmets on Wiggle

So silly isn’t it. We pay through the nose for helmets because of stupid laws and hoops manufacturers have to jump through to qualify just to sell here. End result is that Oz Standards means our locally approved helmets cost 30 - 60% more than they should.

Cart before horse.

I fear Australia is not going to be the country it was when I was a kid, when I have kids.
We are so over regulated it is not funny.
I can’t drive 500m without being told 100 when to stop when to turn where to park at what times,
People no longer have to think it is making a stupid race of people.

It is also terrible for tourism as Its too hard to get approval for anything, take nz for instance, they gov will let you go quad biking, bungjy jump off bridges, clay target shooting and so on.

The hoops you would have too jump through over here to do any off this stuff would price you out off the market.
Sorry just venting some crap that has been getting to me the last month or so.

I completely support the strong stance on helmet standards. The above comment reflects a view of a person who has never seen anyone severely and permanently disabled in a bike crash.

My best friend’s sister is an ambo, she has had to clean brain matter off of the road after bike vs. car accidents.

Wear a helmet. You can get an Aus Standards helmet for $40 or less. I don’t see what the issue is regarding price. I presume you ride a ~$2000+ bike?

There’s a difference between not wearing a helmet and wearing a helmet minus the Aus Standards sticker.

Both of these have been discussed numerous times on here.

I’m suprised it took this long for Wiggle to do it. I remember you could never get Catlike helmets from Wiggle because they wouldn’t ship them internationally. I’m assuming it was because of this reason.

I’m with Spirito, I’d rather have a decent helmet with no Aus standards sticker than a $25 helmet from Kmart with the sticker.

FWIW: I used to wear a Met that I bought from Wiggle. To me it looked exactly the same as the one being sold in Australia at the time. It was half the price on Wiggle.

Sorry? Does that mean a $40 local bought, Kmart, helmet will protect my head better than a $300, UK bought, Giro because it has “the sticker”?

^ seems sticker technology has come along way, seriously, when buying a helmet you can tell the quality by just holding it, if it feels cheap and nasty you wouldn,t put it on your head.

That is actually an interesting question. Remember a lot of the cost of expensive helmets are the branding, the light weight designs and fancy materials. Whether or not they perform better in an impact is unclear.

Whether or not the $40 K Mart helmet or $5 Melbourne bike rental helmet offers better protection than the $300 Giro is irrelevant, the Giro will get an Australian standards approved sticker anyway. The only difference is that the Giro you bought online for half the price won’t have the little foil sticker, though it’s still the same helmet.