Help choose a commuter

Hi Guys

A workmate is looking at buying an off the shelf complete, something comfortable, flatbar, geared that he can cruise the bike paths on etc. Im completely out of touch with the current brands & modern components.

Can anyone suggest a good bike? Avanti? Appolo? Trek? Malvern Star?

Merida speeder, under a grand and a decent bike.

Merida speeder, under a grand and a decent bike.

Which Merida Speeder? The T1, T2, T3 (what happened to T4?), T5, S1, or the S2?

Cell has the T5 for $1,279.
Merida has a factory clearance on the T3 for $849 (see Merida - Official Factory Clearance: Speeder T3 )
TBSN has the T1 for $799 (see Merida 2011 Speeder T1 - $799.00 : TBSM | The Bike Shed Mortdale, Australias online bike store | We guarantee to beat any bicycle, part or accessory price in Australia* ) & the S2 for $599 (see Merida 2011 Speeder S2 - $599.00 : TBSM | The Bike Shed Mortdale, Australias online bike store | We guarantee to beat any bicycle, part or accessory price in Australia* )
Bong Bong has the S1 for $469 (see 2011 Merida Speeder S1 flat bar road bike | Bong Bong Cycles Bike Shop )

a guy is selling a small fuji absoloute for $450 over at BNA

Australian Cycling Forums • View topic - WTS [MELB] Fuji Absolute 2.0, lights, bar ends

Get a Giant, Trek or the like with an Shimano Nexus 8-speed internal geared hub. A maintenance no brainer for a commuter IMO. :slight_smile:

this one looks rad. Buy TREK SOHO Belt Drive, Trek, Urban Bike for Sale in Clarkson, WA. Belt drive, SS future.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, that merida looks pretty sweet

Ive got Papa Spirito’s late 80’s lugged steel Apollo Commuter that’ll be up for sale. It’s got flat bars and thumb shifters, 12 speeds and full chrome steel fenders. It’d be NOS except my dad has done about 5km’s and I’ve done about 15km’s in the last week. Cobalt Blue like an old school Gios, and would suit someone about 5’11" to about 6’2" (maybe a little outside that with adjustments).

I really don’t wish to sell it as it was his B’day present from long ago but he’s not riding it and needs something like a mixte or stepthru as his flexibility is getting quite poor. I’d rather it go to a good home and that it will be used. Very cool looking around townie !!

For Ben only:
$300 delivered to the 'gong in person.

Papa Spizz comin through with the goods again! I love it!! But trying to explain to a suit that its cooler/better/stylin’ then something off the shelf and 3 times the price is gonna be a tough one;). Will check measurements & run it by him…

You can lead a horse to water …

Just show him the pics, if he digs it great … if no, no worries. I may have a little wiggle room price-wise as I’d rather it go to someone we know than some knob punter on greEdBay. I feel a bit sad that my dad never really rode it - he intended to but it wasn’t really suited for him … hopefully I’ll kit him up with something he’s more comfortable with.