Help me pick a nice steel CX

Fair enough

Blakey, I meant budget for anything else except brakes, as I plan to transfer all parts (except brakes) from my cross check to this one. If more exxy brakes are better than the tektros I’ll go for them. What mini vees do you have on your SSCX?

Rx5 will out brake any canti on the planet. They benefit from a pad upgrade and an adjustable noodle.

Trp cx8.4 if you cbf upgrading the rx5s.

I’ve used 926AL, RX5 and CX8.4. All good. 80mm arm is better for levers that pull less cable like campy or external gear cable shimano.

you should buy my bike, it’s steel and cool and has good brakes

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=35209

Cool. Today I read your stickied thread about the 926AL. Quite the pavé :stuck_out_tongue:

Looked at the TRPs also and it looks like the CX9 might work better with my 5700 levers, but these were replaced by the 8.4 amirite?

NO. BAD mansolwota, BAD mansolwota.

90mm mini vees are not to be used.

he is at it again everyone

Giddit. So, what’s the deal with using 8.4s (which are said to be better with SRAM/Campy levers) with my 105 levers? GOOD-GOOD or BAD-BAD?

campy/ext gear cable shimano/etc: 80mm
sram/hidden gear cable shimano etc: 85mm

shorter = more pad-rim clearance
longer = bit more tyre clearance. more power, but even 80mm has plenty of power.

Excellent Blakey, thanks. Those 8.4 TRPs might be the go and they’re pretty affordable too.

If I get the swiss cross I could do a mullet with mini-vees at the front and cantis at the rear, given the unusual rear brake cable routing the frame has. Problem is, it looks like the TRPs are only sold by pair. There’s always other brand that sell single brakes though.

Or maybe find some ghetto solution like putting a ferule at the rear cable ‘eyelet’ to simulate a cable stop and still use a mini-vee at the rear? Mmmh, maybe not.

What I did on my shit MTB is run it as a 1x and use the front dérailleur cable guides to run the rear v-brake because it was routed for cantis.

My Swiss cross has a 1"steel fork and was a bit of stuffing around but now works perfect,
It had a tiny front canti spacing the new one with 8.4 front cr710/720 rear will be great.

Thanks. What’s the toe overlap like on that frame Dayne? That’s something I’d really like to get rid off or reduce. My cross check has lots of it.

From what I can see on internet pics that’s not gonna work on the Swiss cross as The FD is routed via the DT, and the RD cable is routed via the top tube and seat stay, so the rear brake will have to be routed as intended through that funny eyelet. Unless of course I run it SS, which is not plan ATM.

I’m really close to pull the trigger on that Swiss Cross. Called Pushys, they’ve got it in my size and postage is not crazy (< $40). Also talked about warranty with them because I read a couple reports from people who broke the frame. Not really what you want to read when you’re about to buy a bike but I reckon I’ll give it a shot.

I’ll be around in Sydney Monday evening if you’re still here, apparently frame isn’t very badly damaged and still rides nice, so unless you order before then, more than welcome to test it out.

Personally, its apples and apples, they’re pretty similar frames, probably both made by the same guy in the Maxwin factory - the ritchey is a bit dearer but more readily accessible.

^Hey Droz thanks, I’ll be in Sydney just Tuesday for the day only, so it would be cool to meet at lunchtime if that suits you. Keen to test out those minimotos too.

I work over in Milsons Point, so you could come over on the train if you want (1 stop from Wynyard), you can go for a fang around there, if it suits time-wise.

About the canti Kites - as far as I know the first batch is pretty much sold out, except for a few XL ones, and now that the disc version is on the way I’m not sure if there will be any more made.

I just ordered a voodoo wazoo off velogear ($400). I think they only have 58cm size so if that fits you there’s another option.
Xoxo.

what’s the general consensus on bombtrack stuff?

http://bombtrack.com/bikes/hook/

http://bombtrack.com/bikes/arise/

I raced a Hook for a day and was pretty into it. User: Nat. on here is the guy to speak to about them. I rate them.