Home Bike Mechanic

Aldi sometimes sells a cheap toolkit when they have bike gear on sale.

Anybody recommend a good cable/housing cutter? Is there a difference between cable cutters from a hardware store and the bike dedicated ones?

^

This.

Nudie calendar from 1984 and beer fridge are two other workshop essentials.

Against all advice I bought some cable cutters from bunnings for about half the price of the knipex and they work great. Can’t remember the brand right now…

Everyone will just tell you to get the knipex tho.

I have the Felco C7 bypass cable cutters: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/132120271059

I do have some Knipex diagonal cutting pliers like Home page

Do knipex do a bypass cable cutter? All the ones I saw quickly were for copper/alu not steel wire.

That’s right, think you told me to get the Felco Blakey.

I have one of these. Good basic kit and on par with bikehand/bbb quality (if not a bit better, ie chain tool is nicer).

Other things I use often:

• BIIIG stanley adjustable spanner.
  • cable cutters as mentioned
  • rubber mallet from $2 shop (small and large size)

Things that I dont have, and have needed for a long time (have instead used the dodgy method)

• Headset/bearing press
  • Crow race remover
  • Crown race setting tool

$89 for the Felco makes me cry! 4 x better than these?

Would their Bowden Cable Cutter or Wire Rope Cutters be what you’re after?

I have a set of Birzman cable cutters. Good quality and cut well for a budget price. They do other tools, too. Would look at them if and when I need more stuff.

I started with a basic SuperB/generic tool kit and added what was needed. Over the last 10 years I’ve added:
a better spoke key - IceToolz
some better cone spanners (the $18 IceToolz pair does as good a job as the $22 Park one I have) - IceToolz
Kinchrome T-handle allen keys - Sydney Tools
a generic L-shaped allen key set including a 10mm for Campagnolo UT BB - Bunnings
generic Torx L-shaped set - Sydney Tools
Shimano external BB cup tool - Fat Spanner UK
Chain quick link pliers - BBB

As Droz says, a rubber mallet is good to have. A crown race remover is next on my list, and maybe a a headset cup press if I can afford something reasonable. It only needs to do one or two a year, if that.

def not bowden, those have softer jaws. wire rope cutters are the ones.

either of these would be nice, cheaper than felco too.

Recommend either of these Ezy:

Have used both and Super B is much better, but should be able to be had cheaper than Pushy’s, like a little under $300.

Add spanners, maybe a set of fold out allen keys, some better cable cutters once the stock ones shit out and same for maybe chain tool and you should be good.

Can recommend the BikeHand tool kit. Seems to have held up well to my rogue wrenching & I actually really like the allen keys (Maybe I’ve never used a good set, who knows), so for the $$$ it’s not bad. A box with foam inlays to keep everything in is super handy as well.