Hub dynamos & LED lamps?

Just to gravedig this thread a little now that a bunch of other people here have dynamo setups. What’s your hub / light of choice and where do you mount it for best visibility / security?

I’ll update with a bunch of photos soon showing axle, mid fork, centrepull brake bolt & underslung front rack setups, using mid priced Shimano DH-3N80 / DH-T660 & a budget Novatec hubs laced to Mavic & Velocity rims, with Supernova E3 / B&M IQ Cyo & Spanninga headlights.

Last night I rode next to someone with intermediate lens Ay-Ups, and the 40lux B&M IQ Cyo blew his setup out of the water. I didn’t think it would be that much brighter, goes to show what good optics can do I guess.

Just set up my SON28D/Supernova e3 pro light today. Haven’t done the wiring yet but should be apples. Have the Supernova rear light too. Going to make (get someone else to make) an interruptor switch box for on/off/flashing. This setup is on my Rohloff-equipped all weather, no excuses Salsa Fargo commuter. Blakey, what’s the best headlight available retail in Australia for less than $150? Been looking around for one to set up for commuters, but have no luck.

You tried the newer Alfine dynohubs? We’ll be setting one up on the girl’s Crosscheck.

• Joel

That’s because the IQ has a narrow beam lens I’m guessing?

AyUps have non symmetrical beams and when on road ‘waste’ a lot of light to the sky and dazzling oncoming traffic. (useful off road for branches etc). My beam is shaped and throws light onto the road where it’s needed. It’s not narrow as such.

Any reason you didn’t go the 20R/Sondelux for even more resistance savings? If my 2008 E3 is anything to go by, your E3Pro will be ridiculous!

The best (and best value for money) headlight available is the B&M IQ Cyo in one form or another. (It’s arguable if the eDelux is slightly better or on equal footing.)

The best cheap headlight would be a Spanninga Micro FF I think. It’s USD$45 at Velo Orange, so if Mal Adjusted were to import from VO (or contact Commuter Cycles if you only need a few), it’ll be well under $150. Tiny light, super light, removeable reflector, standlight.

Spanninga Micro FF LED Dyno Head Lamp w/ SafeStop - Dynamo - Lighting - Accessories

I just read a funny email from Bicycle Victoria:

…BV members have an opportunity to access an exclusive offer to purchase a hassle free package which includes a Dynamo light and wheel for $649.00- a saving of over $160. No more expensive batteries and no more fading lights!

If batteries are expensive what about $649.00 freaking dollars??

That’s mental. My whole setup cost me a grand total of $265. LX dynamohub on mavic a319, with a lumotec iq light. Is srsly good, and was basic to set up.

Thanks again to Blakey for the heads-up on the wheel and the shared shipping on the light.

Yeah that’s what I thought.
Also if you were an average super commuter, a $649.00 outlay for a front light would proabably be beyond the budgets of most people, or am I missing something here?

You’re missing nothing at all. I wouldn’t even expect most supercommuters to spend as much as I have: most are happy with little flashies, and I see a few mtb types using ayups or similar. I’m happy to spend the money because I plan on using it a lot, my commute is a decent distance and I dont fancy being caught out by failing batteries half way up the motorway.
Maybe there’s a market out there for someone to sell a wheel/light kit for a reasonable price.

I think the holy grail is a wheel/light package ready to bolt on at $250 or less. Blakey, thanks for the recommendations, I’ll investigate.

I went for the 28 because it’s on a slow bike - my Fargo. Touring, off-road stuff, the Kiwi Brevet, all low speed stuff which justifies the SON 28. On a road/audax bike, the SON20 would be great - and is a popular choice for Audax riders the world over.

• Joel

Ok all you electronics freaks.
Knock your sock off.

Dynamo LED Light Systems for Bicycles (electronic circuits)

Holy shit look at circuit 12 on that site. Twin output modes connected to the shifter - tuning output for high or low speeds. Mental.

• Joel

Finally put this together last night. Replacement brake pivot bolt brazed up for me by Commuter Cycles, looks similar to these, but with a longer section to reach through the brake arms. Light is now easily reached to switch on/off while riding, and has less wheel shadow than mounting it at mid fork / axle height. Plus it’s protected if I crash.

Dynamo lighting setup

Dynamo lighting setup - Replacement brake pivot bolt

The finished product looks great. I think the 6V would adequately power the MagicShine lights as well, which would be a good alternative. Even if it’s not on full shine they’re still quite bright.