I done a silly

Hi forum,

As the title suggests I did a silly. I bought (on impulse) a quando wheelset which cost me ~$50.

I’m looking to build my first fixie as I’ve never tampered in this area before. I probably should have done a bit more research about the topic before I bought these wheels but oh well. I can’t really see fixed gearing as something for me, I just wanted to try it out.

I was hoping that someboedy would know off the top of their heads what chain size I’m going to need for a quando flip flop hub. I have tried an old 1/2 x 1/8" chain that I had lying around and it did not fit (too small). Now to my understanding the only two sizes that are commonly used for SS/FG is 1/2 x 1/8" and 1/2 x 3/32". I am a bit confused as 1/8 = 4/32 so the 3/32" chain has to be smaller.

I thought it could be that my shitty old chain was stretched and so I tried my practically new 1/2 x 1/8" chain on it to practically the same effect.

tl;dr Chain doesn’t fit, what do?

-Fauxfixed

depends on whether the cog and chain ring are 3/32 or 1/8. if you purchased the wheels online post a link and we can work it out:)

Here’s something almost exactly the same. Only difference is that I got the sealed bearing equivalent.

ALEX FIXIE WHEELS, TRACK WHEELS, FIXIE WHEELSET, FIXIE | eBay

Quando wheels take a normal 1/8 x 1/2 chain. Just a regular old Single speed/BMX chain… I had some, so I know.

In short,

URDOINGITRONG

I don’t think I am…

Here is the chain I have, eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d bought only a little while back and I doubt it’s seen 100km yet.

Here is a photo

Many on here have said that quando’s are notoriously shit and I dont doubt it but for under $50 you cant go wrong - they will get you rolling. My current wheels are unfortunately quandos* but I’ve had zero problems so far. Just make sure you lubricate the threads on the cog andd lockring and do up the lockring super tight. If the cog slips, don’t ride it anymore until you tighten it up, otherwise it will strip the treads on the hub.

*am planning a whole bike upgrade ATM.

edit - buy a new chain - they are like $10 for the cheapest 1/8 chain at any good LBS

Yeah that looks a 3/32 chain to me mate even though the listing says otherwise!

$6 at kmart for a new chain bud.