I got in a fight :(

I nursed in Saudi for two years Spirito, I speak fluent Arabic.

I know … that’s why I said what I did. In any case those situations are impossible to think straight and logical. I’m just happy you’re (relatively) Ok.

Don’t sweat the hater’s … everybody’s got opinions and each person would react differently (or thinks they would). Only you were there … carry that with you and know what to look out for if a similar situation comes up. Put it behind you.

wow that’s one scary story… good to hear your ok

dw it WILL come back to those scum bags…if you see there rice rocket car again give it a good deep key or rubber slash haha!

Stake out the girl’s flat till the boys come round.Follow em home discreetly.Visit their car late one night,and cut all 4 valve stems off with bolt cutters.That’ll slow em up.

All of that stuff is stupid. Tit for tat just means they’ll be gunning for the next cyclist.

The only way they’ll learn their lesson is if they’re charged with assault and battery with a dangerous object, dangerous/reckless driving, etc etc A conviction like that is a permanent criminal record and shows them very clearly they are in the wrong and that they cannot mess with any other cyclists.

/// after that, make a mess of their car :wink:

+1 the cops. They’ll be able to find the people involved easily from the people at the apartment block.

Ant and Brad were a bit off the mark IMO. Doesn’t matter who was in the wrong with the cutting off, as soon as they threw bottles at you they became the criminals. And they then backed that up with a pretty serious assault and chase. Wasn’t smart to confront them but doesn’t justify their actions.

Keep on the officer whom took your statement to follow it up. These are exactly the type of people that throw the one punch that kills someone cos they don’t realise the consequences.

Hard to get anything really done by the jacks unless you have a witness to it all?!
Go the midnight wrecking!

So your bike’s okay right?

+1

always what I check first after a bingle

^^ so true… a big off I had a few years ago, checking out the bike, leaning over and peering at it quite intently when i noticed blood dripping onto the down tube from my head… needed 3 stitches just above my temple and didn’t even notice because i thought i’d fucked my bike.

Better than ok I reckon.

I stand by what I said. I’m sorry if it sounds harsh but it’s how I feel about it. You were riding at night without lights, helmet or brakes and got cut off. Whether you were doing 200m or 20kms makes no difference, whether you think you were seen or not is entirely subjective. From your point of view you were visible but you can’t know what the driver saw. If you think you were wrongly done by get the rego and report them. When the cop asks you if you had lights tell them no and see what they say.

My point is that if you go the route of hitting the car and threatening the driver we achieve nothing, the driver is then even more likely to cut us off, or squeeze us out and ultimately they’ve won because they’ve provoked a reaction which if their actions were intentional was probably what they wanted.

I’ve had shit thrown at me for no reason and I have reported every rego I can. Ultimately it’s up to the cops to enforce the law and put these scumbags away not us. If you try you’ll just end up in trouble. The kids in the car are fuckwits and hoons and they’ll probably wrap their car around a tree after which numerous facebook tribute pages will spring up saying how nice they were and how tragic it is. We can’t win by force, they have 2 tonnes of metal and the prejudice of an entire society behind them while we’re completely vulnerable.

It’s a shit situation I agree, and if you feel strongly about it I’d suggest following it up with the cops, but as I’ve said it sounds as though you began to escalate the situation through your confrontations as much as these dickheads did by throwing bottles and punches. Maybe selfishly I’m thinking about the high likelihood of this same carload of hoons crossing paths with me or my wife one night and making us a target after losing face with you. To them we are all the same.

I don’t condone them throwing bottles or punches at you, I think it is detestable and that they should be made accountable for their actions, but at the same time I don’t condone you getting pissed at someone for cutting you off when you weren’t lit up. Now can we shake on this and move on?

No not really Dan.
I didn’t provoke this physical violence.
I chased because I was assulted and running on adrenaline. I was actually trying to represent cyclist while I was talking/yelling to them.
I was explaining how vunerable we are on bikes and that throwing bottles from cars could lead to huge consequences for cyclists.

Where did I state I hit the car?
Where did I state I threateed the driver?

I have followed it up with the police. They aren’t going to help find the car or drivers. They are too busy.
I’m not going to do a stakeout and get the rego. That’s just stupid!

I’m going to count my blessings and move on.
1-I made it home safely to my son.
2-I can ride a bike better than I thought I could.
3-I can ride faster than I thought I could.
4-When it comes to ‘can I protect myself’, yes I can.

You got my pm and you know why this is one extra thing I didn’t need.
I also feel that your view is an incorrect one, but you weren’t there and you’re not me.

You are entitled to your opinion but implying that I have made your ‘cycling life’ more dangerous (as in your first post) is wrong.

Correct me if I’m wrong but did you change your post shortly after you wrote it?

Maybe I’m from the bronze age but I could have sworn that post changed. I know if I edit something quickly after it’s posted it doesn’t show it’s edit tag below.

Just curious.

Hey Azz …

I gotz you a new Aavatar. It’s maybe not that great, and yes it is my old one but anything is better than what you got already :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I say all this with love … no, not that kind of love :rolleyes:

It sounds like a really shit experience, Azz, and I hope there are no ongoing repercussions.

Everyone here has an opinion, and I’m sure you know that if you post on the forum, those opinions will come out. Take the opinions on board and learn from the experience. Nice bike BTW.

That’s a threat, and to say that you were completely blameless is bullshit. If you pick a fight and lose don’t cry about it and expect sympathy.

Thanks for letting me express my wrong opinion - I will keep riding in a way that increases my chances of getting home and you can keep riding like you are made of steel.

Without knowing what Azz said I don’t think that is a threat. And there is a BIG difference between actively picking a fight, and reacting in a situation where you are nearly hit by a car, even if you do give the finger.

Ultimately I think it is pretty easy to have a go here, but seriously how many times have most of us done the exact same thing (not ride without lights but give a rant and bird). The chances are most of us have reacted like that and during those times would never think that the response Azz got could be justified.

I agree that it was a pretty stupid ride and Azz should have stayed quiet, but attributing blame to being cut off should not equate to blame for being bottled in the head…even if he did flip him off.

Best thing that can come out of this is that it reinforces to everyone that people can explode over nothing so stay quiet.

man it’s good to hear that you are ok
BUT
your actions make you one of the stupidest people on this forum
don’t go on about “reprazentin” other cyclists, even if they nearly killed you, you still shouldn’t get involved.
in my opinion ur fucking lucky they didnt just run you down like that 19 year old pedestrian a couple weeks back
i don’t care about adrenalin, ur old enough to know better
if your number one blessing was to get home to ur son, wear a fucking helmet everytime you ride!

I’m waiting for HMC to chime in after his recent confrontation with irate bogans…