I promise this is the last question about brakes...

How much should I spend on 1 brake, I took my bike to a bike shop, and it’s going to cost like $200? Seems a lot?

Dave, they saw you coming. $200? Crikey, I’m in the wrong business. One of the bike-shop-connected guys on here could surely set you right for a few buck less than that, or takeyourself over to www.ebay.com.au Dave, go to >sporting goods>cycling and search for “brakes”. As a rough guide I just picked up a set of shiny NOS campag record calipers for way less than $200, inlcuding postage from the USA.

Yeah cheers, I rang em, and told them not to worry about i… They said the fork had a low drop on it?

I’m just going to go to CERES next weekend instead…

so you probably need long reach calipers - not to hard to find on the 'bay for way way less than 200 sheets…

No it was actually the opposite to long reach calipers, I need really short reach calipers apparently?

that makes it even easier.
pretty much all modern calipers are short reach, so you’ll be able to buy pretty much anything.
tektro make a pretty good dual pivot caliper for very little cash.

Yeah, but are can they be shorter than normal reach calipers? Does does that exist?

If you could get calipers that were shorter than short reach, they wouldn’t hit the rim.

I think (and I’m backed up by personal experience) that Lawrencia were taking you for a ride. If you don’t need extra long reach, pretty much any road caliper will work for you.

I can see this going around in circles.

Post a picture of your fork with the wheel in it and we’ll be able to tell you exactly what you need.

Des

photo courtesey of in the pink, who sold me the bike.

I assume a normal brake will fit now…

Good old Sheldon! Just measure them up as below, and you’ll know what to get. (Just scroll down to REACH)

OK, from the photo it looks like any modern (short reach) road bike brake caliper will fit in there. You can get a usable brand new one for as little as $10 (I did) from your local LBS. Just ask for a no name front brake caliper. Or get something like a cheap Trektro or Promax. You can get front Promax’s from Abbortsford cycles for about $30.

Des

Cool, thanks so much for the help guys,

I’ll just grab one from another bike store. Also if any onee is interested, I just got some cool plastic brake levers of ebay, colour red, they come as a pair, so I’ll have a spare. Might chuck it up on classifieds, not sure it’s worth it?

I had bog standard 105’s on it when it was a singlespeed…and a Campag Xenon , again bog standard, in another configuration…Cheers ItP

And let that be a lesson to everyone else, Larencia are capital F, ‘FUCKED’ :x The only person there that gives/gave me any help was the guy I’ve been dealing with for more than 13yrs. Grrrr they have no love for fixie’s.

Go back and ask them for an itemized quote, just for (our) laughs.

I saw the prices on the items, it was about $90 for a brake lever, $150 for the calipers, + cable and labour… :-o

And let that be a lesson to everyone else, Larencia are capital F, ‘FUCKED’ The only person there that gives/gave me any help was the guy I’ve been dealing with for more than 13yrs. Grrrr they have no love for fixie’s

The guy was actually really friendly and helpful, said he rode a fixie himself, was quite impressed witht the bike etc, etc, but I just couldnt belive how expensive the things were (they could have been really good, for all I know)???

A centuron (??) caliper, maybe?

What’s wrong with that quote? You might be able to get the parts cheaper than that yourself, but then you’d probably spend a few hours on it getting everything right.

You might even end up spending that much if you wanted some really nice levers and calipers NIB/NOS/ASL off ebay :wink:

Nothing is wrong with the qoute. I think the issue is that Dave was looking for something cheaper and Lawrencia tried to sell him something that was not. It’s clear to me that the shop instead of trying to educate the customer what his options were, tried to sell him something he doesn’t need to pay a high price for. That’s called a con.