Interesting anti- Chain Reaction Cycles rant

I look at it simply: the buck stops with me. If I work on something I make sure it’s safe to ride and working properly, just like it was my own bike. If I build a bike it’ll be perfect and if it isn’t working properly and that contributes to poor function that may result in failure or an accident then I am fault and can be sued/liable. I don’t want to hear that a customer is in hospital or has had an accident. For that reason I won’t half do stuff. Nor am I sure what customers may have cocked up that I can’t see. That means I have to check things to be sure = more time.

When people say “it only needs” I can almost bet 90% of the time it also needs something else looked at/adjusted.

I truly think most people here are pretty cool/reasonable and understand the need for a good relationship with their local bike store and why/how to sweeten the deal for bot parties. Unfortunately, most bike shop customers aren’t like most people here and I can tell you there’s a whole other side to this story that some of you aren’t seeing.

It always depends. If they’re cool and a good customer then often I’ll do things for free. I know they’ll always come back to me and it’s the bigger scheme I’m thinking of. I want them to be happy and appreciate looking after them like a friend … which they are as they help pay my mortgage.

Then there’s knobs who buy something small, expect the world and are always trying to penny pinch. It’s best to price that customer “up” so they are then a) worth putting up with or b) encouraged to go elsewhere and not wasting my time.

my old man calls it “the fukwit tax”

As a big on line customer, my LBS would get a lot more work from me if they were in touch with the more passionate rider.

If I got the “hey, what have you bought now, I could fit that for you today” rather than the cold shoulder lecture “well, I hope it lasts, because sending this back is gong to cost you blah blah blah …” I would happily spend a large proportion of the money I just saved on the bits with them.

Everyone loves a bargin, and combine that with a professional fit, whats not to love. I recon I’d spend even more than I do now.

My actual word is “the JIC principle” … Just In Case.

Most people are good, most things are straight forward. People riding bikes just want to ride and have their bikes working properly. Some learn the hard way and some just don’t get it. Not every LBS is the same, I am also a shopper at many different LBS’s even before I worked in one. I’ve never had too much trouble with either buying stuff or getting something fixed. Often it’s mix of customer and employee where things go sour. It shouldn’t be but it’s far from a perfect world in many other regards let alone the local bike retail/service industry.

It’s really not that hard, say hello when you enter a store, be polite and clear when discussing your needs/expectations/budget and be willing to listen to the other side of the argument before gettin pissed if the LBS doesn’t want to/can’t help you, say thanks and bye when you leave.

Suck it up if something you buy online fucks up and needs the LBS to fix it.

I’ve never had an experience in a bike store that even comes close to being negative.

This thread is kinda crazy, surely this shit isn’t that hard?!

You’d be surprised.

Prices are getting better though- have a look at the Gatorskin-Dex, a cursory search shows you can get them locally for between $35-45 ea, which is actually really good. A few years ago you wouldn’t get much change out of $65 ea.

it is amusing that those who whinge the most about the evil internet hurting their income are the same ones who are turning things like wheel builds or gear adjustments away…

the message to retail businesses has been the same for the last almost 10 years now… evolve or die (a slow painful death)

I do this.

You need a 6mm allen key, 17mm spanner and a rubber mallet to put a bmx together; no one has their bikes built at stores!!

To be clear I don’t work at a bike shop, I’m just good friends with a few people who work in bike shops (and one who owns one). I think it’s fair enough to bring in hub + rim into a bike shop, so long as your not going to bitch and moan about paying for labour and spokes, although the last two times I’ve done this, I’ve disscussed the build with the wheel builder.
I generally know what I want previous to this though. If the hubs and rims are something the wheel builder can not provide, and they can’t provide a suitable substitute I’ll purchase online and they’ll do the spokes and labour. Happy dayz for everyone.

Agreed… But the problem is when they can provide the same part, but it’s $800 more expensive than its available online. Something is wrong. As much as I’d be happy to pay a retail markup to a local store, I just can’t justify it… And yeah, spokes and labour cost whatever they cost in store, within reason.

This

Also known as the DHT or DickHeadTax.

Spirito definately get’s it.

As for the supplier argument, Aus is quite often priced out of the game before the product even hits the distributors.

Not really the distributors make the lion share and a lot of bike shops think that 100% markup is reasonable, even when the prices are cut to the shops due to the strong exchange rate they see it as an opportunity to make a few extra $$…
The consumers in this country are rolling with the times. The industry is not. It has to evolve or die…

fuckwit tax only works when you have enough business to be able to turn people away but to still turn a profit

i thought bike shops were all complaining that the internet is killing them? but at the same time they are turning customers away?

sounds real smart

Ive never heard that sentence before.

I dont know anybody that hasnt had to deal with a real cvnt in a bike shop at some point. i can name three stores off of the top of my head that are full of cvnts

1. Fitzroy Revolution. I hate the place and nearly everybody i speak to hates going to Fitzroy Rev for anything. cvnts.
  2. Bike Now in Carlisle street. Cvnts
  3. Beach Road Cycles. Totally useless cvnts. Simply buying rim tape was a fucking 15 minute ordeal.

Dis-honourable mention
— Goldcross. useless cvnts.

The best service ive had was at
— Gran Prix Cycles in South Caulfield. rad guys.
— Shifter.
— Bike Now in South Melbourne.
— Cecil Walker in the city. (from what ive heard this was an anomoly)

I paid $89.95 for a 10spd Veloce chain yesterday at a bike shop because I snapped my chain at the end of a ride. I could have bought that for probably half that price with DHL express shipping online. I might as well have walked into the shop with my pants down. Ridiculous.

Shit I don’t pay that much for record 11 chains

Neither around $55 for a record 11 is standard