Kenevans Track

Hey, that’s my old bike…

Looking good.

Yea Pip
BB is currently being held in with locktite, so far its holding up well

I saw it in at bundy’s last week. nice frame- what did you have done to it?

Pete was looking into the bb issue, drive side thread is rooted. We tried a few options and ended up going with loctite

bummer. If anyone would be able to fix it it would be him! Looks good though- does it ave the pantographed K’s on it?

no pantographed k’s
definately not a high-end ken but rides awesome

What did you try - I’ve got an old frame with a slightly rooted thread. Did you consider re-cutting to italian?

the pantos have more to do with the age: some would argue quality as well, but my later ken is pretty damn nice.

We basically tried everything without putting heat into the frame as thats a last resort.

• re-cutting to italian thread was first thought, but the thread was too far gone.
  • then tried a new bb with thread tape, no dice.
  • liquid nails lasted one ride
  • now ive got loctite with a different bb and its working well.

Last option is replacing the bb shell, if it gets to that stage ill just retire the frame cause i dont feel its worth that much time and money. As said above it has none of the nice pantographing and some f-wit drilled front n rear for brakes and squashed the rear bridge due to over-tightening/not using the corrent washers on the calliper. I imagine its the same person who ruined the thread in the first place.

My advice is start off simple, try a few different bb’s as some have deeper thread then others and thread tape is good in small doses. Really depends how bad it is.

Really? There is 1mm difference in diameter between the two… that means the old thread could be completely stripped… what did the guy do to it ???

Have you seen this?

This BB uses a new locking system that works even if the threads in the BB shell are damaged, or non-existent. That means it should fit Swiss and other oddly threaded bikes. As the adjustable cup is tightened the silver sleeve is pushed up the tapered outside face, expanding and locking in the BB. Installation requires a traditional-style BB spanner or a pin wrench.

http://www.velo-orange.com/grcruthbobr.html

that above mentioned BB sounds awesome…

or these mavic threadless BB’s are on ebay all the time, in various sizes if you keep your eye out for them… this is one of the more expensive ones I’ve seen tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MAVIC-BOTTOM-BRACKET-MAVIC-610-616-BB-THREADLESS-68MM_W0QQitemZ110493909143QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b9f34097

I have a ken roadie with no pantos. Its columbus with gipemme dropouts. Its light and rides nicely. Who else has non panto kens?

Yea old thread was pretty much completely gone, there are a few theories regarding the cause, they probably used a cheap bb and overtightened it or maybe even tried to jam the wrong cup in there :? whatever it was they done a fine job of destroying it.

Ive had a look into a few threadless bb options, have read a few reviews that say they can come loose. If I could get one on the cheap id give it a try

USD$60 from Velo Orange is pretty cheap. The Mavic BBs require a special tool to Campher the BB shell, I’ve never seen one but I seem to remeber that a forum member has one… actually we went through these options in another thread a while ago didn’t we?

Columbus Brain (O/S steel) track frame, no pantos. Paul & Ken Evans, World Champ decals.

As mentioned, the Mavic needs the shell to be chamfered.

The YST has terrible bearings and is cheap in every sense of the word.

The VO Grand Cru BB is tops. Read the review on Tarik Saleh’s blog (Moscaline), it’s exactly what you want.

I’ve had a few basic KE’s. Track and road.

I’ve got one of those MAVIC bb’s also.

This does look like the winner, apart from the horrible colours.

Does anyone know if it is ISO or J.I.S. taper?

<being a jerk>
You can read English?
You clicked the link?
Why are you asking us?

To answer your question: Yes, I do know if it’s ISO or JIS taper.
</being a jerk>

[being a jerk]
What? Not good enough when I link to it?
[/being a jerk]

It’s JIZZ