Less Melbourne-centric, more Australian-centric

“forming something official and organised at a somewhat early stage in the development of this ‘movement’”.

It’s not the early stage. Some would argue the shark was jumped a long time ago.

+1 for socks!

It’s just an esoteric internet forum for fixed geeks ya know.
Location and %;age of members from a certain geographical location is just a realistic indication of the non cyber world.
Trying to mess with or modify could cause a schism.
Cliques are an inevitable outcome of forums, but not really an issue for me(if I didn’t like it I’d simply leave).
Far more of an issue is the terse and often elitist replies from longstanding members to newcomers.

in 30-40 years when we’re crusty old dirtbags with busted knees and “classic” 2010 model bikes, then we’ll probably consider this stage as “somewhat” early on.

socks rule

HMC, Gene, i was having a really bad day yesterday, hence my defensiveness… I can see your points, it was just something that i thought should be suggested

It would take a lot more than a moment but, yeah, pretty much what HMC et al have already said.

Also, I certainly wasn’t “hatin” on you ellepea, just the idea you put forward.

Group hugs and anarchy, fuck yeah!

I’m in Sydney and have no issue with the Melbourne-centric nature of the forum. Melbourne has more cyclists, a better cycling “culture” etc, so it’s natural that, considering FOA was started there, Melbourne should figure prominently.

As for cliques: I think that happens when people get to know each other offline/in real life. A hell of a lot of interaction goes on between forum members, whether it be rides or selling parts or whatever. I’ve met and hung out with members in Melbourne and Brisbane, who I wouldn’t have known without being on here, and most of the guys I ride with I’ve met through the forum in one way or another.

As for some sort of organisation/club/whatever: I don’t see the need. Apart from aforementioned group buys of jerseys/caps/socks, but that seems to happen sooner or later anyway.

Organizations are not what fixed is about man, it’s like, anarchy or nothing, man.

lol

Anyway, we’re all the general FOA people, from Perth to Adelaide to fucken Nazza Wazza. When I go to Adelaide during summer (watch the tour down under) I’m gonna hit up some peeps from online to give me a tour of the town, which is great cos WE’RE LIKE, PALS.
We’re a group anyways, Aus wide, thrown in by this website. We already have a governing body by way of moderators and that, and the few I’ve met I’ve figured they’re way nice and pretty cool. We already are an organization! Just not official, cos that’d spoil it.

^ So who is our president; NickJ (founder) or JLN (most posts)?

This.
I dont see any need for change.

or Blakey (probably most bikes)
or Brendan (most pro)
or me (not a mod, but i drink LOADS of beer and drive a sweet ute)

i think i like you even more with each post dylan!! hahaha

What should the socks say? I vote for “before shoes”

thanks Angry, I can understand the answer when there’s a little reasoning involved, so i appreciate that. I knew the idea wouldn’t necessarily appeal to a lot of people in this “scene” but thought that the possibility should be mentioned anyway.

The ‘club’ idea floated earlier is def not something I/we would like to see I think. I hate to think of any inclusionary aspect attached to riding a tarck bike on the street.
The site is very Melb centric, but where are all the posts of rides going on in other states?
Does anyone do a Brewery Ride? (Regularly)
There will be dirt? (Regularly)
Weds (or any other night) ride (Regularly)
Plus a whole lot of other stuff that goes on here (Dirty Deeds, many alletcats etc)

If so, and I’m sure there is in some capacity, then someone needs to post it!

I’m taking my bike to Adelaide in a couple weeks, but there doesn’t seem to be much going on there. Whereas if I was coming to Melb, it would be great.
Maybe the other states just don’t have the amount of riders? Or they need to post more and get something going so it’s not a Melb.org type thing.

I do find the “Missed Connections” to be a Melb thing pretty much 95%. Not sure what to do there, moving it to a sticky in each city would just add more threads. Plus I like reading about who saw what all over the country.

Someone mentioned about the older members attitude towards newer members. It’s bad from a very small few, but most of the mods/ long term posters are of great help and advice. I think the site is run and moderated by some very good peoples in the whole.

This prob just took up unnecesary bandwidth, but it’s my 2cents.

Yep… ;]

the sydney forums are generally a hive of activity. the sydney kids are a nice bunch, too.

Why, thank you Mr McKenney. You’re not so bad yourself.

I agree with heavymetal - I think the forum works well as it is. The structure especially seems pretty good to me. More sections makes it easier to find something quickly. If the threads were flying past every minute, it would be a pain to dig through and find that one you need, about how to machine your rims with a hammer and chisel, for example.

Getting rid of the Sydney/Brisbane/Gold Coast/Perth etc sections would suck major bollocks, in my humble opinion. I always go straight to the Sydney section to see who’s coming to the pub, who’s riding in the morning, where Kanye has taken his Garmin lately, etc etc. At the same time I never, ever click on the Melb section, and that probably means many more hours of my life where I can be out riding, for example.