Let's talk about District 9

Seriously, great movie. Anyone else seen it? Definitely nailed a stylistic approach that has been missing from sci-fi for too long. It almost hearkened back to Alien, but without the Hollywood. I think the fact that it was an independent movie really gave it room to spread its wings, and it comes across so well.

Go see it if you haven’t already!

The media’s going ‘blah blah blah racism allegory’, did you notice/mind/care? I enjoyed the lightning-gun head gibbage, but the villain/cop chasing him down was a bit 2d for me.

I missed the first ten minutes and apparently that’s where all the backstory is. Don’t miss the start :\

ps. ‘Let’s talk about (…)’ is getting dangerously close to ‘ITT:’. Keep it simple eh

I havent seen it, but I did like the promo for it.
Alot of people have said it isn’t very good, but I don’t really trust people when they say a movie sucks as I believe some people are too ‘dumb’ to ‘get it’ when it comes to awesome movies.
I will see it eventually.

Whilst we’re here, i will tell you that G.I. JOE SUCKS!!! I was so dissapointed.

Yeah that looked terrible! i can’t believe you forked out the coin to go see it, i hope it was a tuesday. :roll:

Great movie!
Definately worth seeing.
Did anyone else pick up the underlying message that the ‘Prawns’ reprosented the black people of the apartheid and how they were treated by the whites?
Like Sekt said, i also think the fact that it wasn’t a Hollywood style blockbuster gave it a free ticket to explore other ways of filming and produing and it definately pulled it off.
I’d give it 8/10 potatoes.

Andy

Go see this movie!

Spoiler alert (highlight text below to see it):
When Vikus is in the armor suit did anyone else notice the homage to Half-life 2 with the gravity gun? I counted it being used twice: first when it captures all of the shells and second when it picks up a pig and throws it! Awesome!! Thought the gibbage was almost comical, and loved the scene where Vikus is indiscriminately frying multiple guards trying to escape from the lab.
I loved how they didn’t fuzzy the movie up by making Vikus wig out when he is told that he has to wait three years. Would love to see whether they follow this story arc up in a sequel?
I know it is very obvious but I still loved how this was set in South Africa and they got both white and blacks commenting on how much they hate the prawns. Using all of the same language used during apartheid. Made me think about some of the comments that are made in Australia by 1st and 2nd Generation Aussies about the current generation of immigrants. The believability of the human response to the aliens is what made this movie work for me. We would only be interested in stealing technology and fucking them over, not at all interested in helping them get home.
Lastly, I have been annoying Mrs Ant with Vikus impersonations for the last two weeks!

I dragged my girl to the movies under protest, and stressed to her it wouldnt be ANYTHING like Independence Day!

I thought they nailed it, and yes, all comments made thus far correct. I hope that they dont make a sequel, and let it rest on the credibility of the first. After it finished, i was saying " definately gonna be a sequel", but this is just 20 years of shit movies telling your brain thats what they will do… but if there was… i will be there.

The ending can be taken 2 ways-

1. Hollywood style left open for sequel
  2. Original indy film

Also, having a “no name” cast made it alot easier to watch

district 9 looks ok…

but fucken INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS!! now thats a movie

king of threadjacks.

Saw Inglourious Basterds as well. Good movies like these put my faith back into shelling out $$$ to go to the movies rather than waiting to download them hire the dvd!

Freaking awesome movie.

The lack of American actors/accents was refreshing, and a good story with some nice action bits made it one of the better movies I’ve seen of late.

What?

I also missed the first 10 minutes, but had seen the preview and had enough basic info to know the gist of it all.

The apartheid thing was fairly obvious I thought, but I really liked that they didn’t over-do the focus on that. It could have become a bit caught up in it, but avoided it quite well.

A few people have mentioned the HL2 stuff, but I think Blomkamp’s early short films pre-dated the game and also featured that same technology. Maybe it worked in reverse?

I read an interview with Blomkamp where he said that the ending intentionally left things a little unexplained, not for a sequel but simply because it fit the film. He also said that he’d like to go back and revisit the story at some point, so a sequel may happen eventually.

South Afriken accents owned, not the best movie, took my Indonesian exchange student to it, he got sick cause of the gore, also in inglorious basterds, but I loved it.
and yes the apartheid theme was obvious

What?[/quote]Don’t mind me. I get angry at Comic Sans and apostrophes too. Forum pedantry of the pot-kettle-black kind really.

I also missed the first 10 minutes, but had seen the preview and had enough basic info to know the gist of it all.

The apartheid thing was fairly obvious I thought, but I really liked that they didn’t over-do the focus on that. It could have become a bit caught up in it, but avoided it quite well.

A few people have mentioned the HL2 stuff, but I think Blomkamp’s early short films pre-dated the game and also featured that same technology. Maybe it worked in reverse?

I read an interview with Blomkamp where he said that the ending intentionally left things a little unexplained, not for a sequel but simply because it fit the film. He also said that he’d like to go back and revisit the story at some point, so a sequel may happen eventually.

The zing moment for me was reading somewhere that both the black and white interviewees were really allegedly talking about refugees from (currently in meltdown) Zimbabwe. This still hasn’t stopped me from calling the dog ‘you’re cheeky little prawn now aren’t you?’ every now and then.
From the spoiler obvious-bag: I’d give my right arm for one of those mech suits. :roll: