Locks that work

or rather than electrical tape you can use an old inner tube.

this is correct on both counts, but the smarter thieves usually use industrial equipment for ease and efficiency.

the other downside to chains (aside from the weight) is when you crash… broken hips are no joke, or serious bruising from the lock/chain. i’ve seen the latter a couple of times and its scary.

+1 on candle or beeswax for securing ball bearings/filling boltholes. simple and easy solution should you need to prevent opportunistic theft.

any lock can be gotten through reasonably easily given time or tools.

//youtu.be/Ooa3NVfFlEU

but what’s very important (and so frequently ignored here) is ‘what and how you lock’. simply locking your TT with a hefty lock doesnt buy you security. Sheldon Brown has some excellent advice for us (as he often does). The sheldon method with a 3’ cable is my preferred late night lock up strategy, but leaving a decent lock at work is one of the best tips. a trip to bunnings will net you an excellent chain and padlock and combined with an old inner tube (to protect your frame/parts) and you have a great workplace/parking garage solution.

I use a Kryptonite Mini D for locking frame and front wheel to the pole (for fixed). To take my rear wheel(s) off, you have to undo the nuts, push it in, take off the chain from the chainring, then slide the wheel out. If someone really wants to do that, well, good luck. With my road bike, I lock the frame and rear wheel. I have a cable tie on my front QR. it’s not the best deterent, but it’s enough to not easily be able to get off.

If I’m locking up around a thicker pole the Mini D doesn’t fit, I use a Kryptonite cable with my Mini D. I can usually look up both my wheels, plus lock my rear wheel to my frame this way.

I’m lucky that if I ever have to leave my bike in the city overnight, I have a secure “cage” at my work.

Very rarely do I lock up the TT only.

All this lock advice is great. However, consider how easy it is pull out a street parking sign out of its hole. Many of them are loose (especially the one sitting in brick cobbles) or simply need their wedge (like peg) levered out. This doesn’t leave many options in some places if you’re using a mini D. I might get an Abus chain as a back-up.

smart move.

I haven’t researched this before I posted. Or used the s function.
BUT. I have heard tales of wheel skewers or something down there that will not undo unless upside down. So a small d lock plus these wheels/skewers means all is safe.
FBI Sydney local radio station do a segment (Monday mornings possibly) about cycling. This is where I heard about these magical things.
I have I abus chain with key, never dramas. But can’t get both wheels which concerns me sometimes, not only the wheels, ( not super pricey) but the crook won’t be gentle with the paint on my forks When he puts it down either.
Going to get some wax now, I think that’s a brilliant idea, it’s enough to move people onto the next bike.

Had a look for those skewer things. I think they would work ok, ppl would give up pretty quick I reckon, but this says they aren’t super strong.

Possibly…

John Loughlin and his TIGR Bike Lock: Changing up the Cable Lock - Bike Rumor

kriptonite cable (you can get them 5 odd meters long) and a big fat masterlock. you can thread the kriptonite through your seat, cranks, wheels - into the master lock and then around whatever your locking your bike onto.

Remember that a chain is only as strong as it’s weakest link.
Just because you can lock up a bike easier and more stuff such as wheels and seats etc, make sure the u lock is securing primarily your frame and the cable is a secondary system. Don’t use it as the primary source of protection and the u lock as a “padlock” type thing.

Apologies for bumping an old thread but a quick google search didn’t solve my problem. Anyone know of a bike shop that stocks the fat Krypto chain locks? Want something like this one Kryptonite, or any other similar Krypto chain locks.

Those things are fucken heavy. Like so heavy you’ll get sick of it real quick. Would be easier to carry 2 d-locks around.

I got an evo mini for securing my bike to a pole or whatever but I need something to put through the front wheel and frame, I get that it will be a hassle to carry around but I figure it’ll be more of a hassle if someone decides to steal my front wheel.

Most good motorcycle shops carry the heavy duty range from Krytonite.

Thanks for the advice, I never would have thought to look in motorcycle shops. If all else fails there is always eBay I guess.

Get a cable to use with the d-lock. Thread cable thru frame and wheel, lock cable to d-lock which is locked to pole. Works a treat.
Just trying to save you money, bro.

Can recommend this. Mine’s a few years old now.
Rated 8 and no keys to fuss with.
ABUS | The good feeling of security

Maximum protection is what i am after, with in reason though. I dont want to be carrying a 4 kilo lock around with me all the time. A krypto cable coupled with a U lock sounds smart though. I’ll have a look about and weigh up my options, your opinions and advice is appreciated.

i prefer to lock my front wheel/fork or sheldon the rear to the pole, and then use the cable to secure the other wheel and frame. means that the lock is attaching the bike to the pole rather than just securing that. i also might have mis-interpreted your post.

both are smarter options… from a weight and $ perspective.

plus if you bin it wearing a chain you are on the fast path to some serious hip bruising :wink:

chains are great for leaving places where you always lock up or if you lock your bike in very sketchy areas regularly (eg CBD overnight).

Yeh, that’s pretty much what I meant. Lock secures bike and one wheel to pole, cable secures other wheel to frame and lock.

I just use a u lock and arm myself with a sense of the inevitable: ie. your sweet bike will eventually be stolen.

The bright side is two fold: it may never be, in which case you are pretty happy about the situation. Or, alternatively, it will be, in which case your suspicions in regards to the world are confirmed. Which is comforting.

Buying too many locks is like buying insurance you don’t need. Expensive, a pain in the ass and reflective of one’s fear of life.

Best thing to do is make sure your regular bike ain’t too flash.