Ma randonneuse Kumo

I’ve enjoyed those step-by-step threads where Kumokeith has delighted us with a building journal of his current productions. So, I thought I’d do a similar kind of thread, with my own impressions on the process and pics to illustrate the thing. Hopefully Keith can chime in to explain the more technical bits if some questions occur. Some pics were taken by Keith and have been on his ‘gram already and other were taken by me. Two weeks ago or so Keith started working on the fabrication of my new bike. Of course we’ve had many discussions as to what that bike would be. I’ve learned lots during the process, about bikes, Keith and myself, and also about what Keith and I can do and want to do with bikes. The ‘want’ and the ‘can’ don’t always coincide in real life and that’s okay. Whatever this bike is going to be, I know it is going to be something both Keith and I are proud of.

First I had envisaged that this bike would be a racer sort of roadie, very much like this Kumo that a lot of you know:

Discussions were had, plans made, components decided upon, etc etc. My Kumo was going to be this fast steel bike on which I’d kick my carbonbros’ asses. A pretty straightforward affair, this custom bike thingy hey. Keith was happy, I was happy, rosellas were chirping in Canberra’s many gumtrees. Beauty. Textbook case.

But of course a lot of things happen in a year, and one of the things that happened is that I stumbled upon a lovely LOOK 585 frameset that I built up and have been racing and doing bunchies with. In other words, that’s my roadie. Wait, so I already have a roadie that I can do crits, races and generally be an obnoxious carbonbro with, so this Kumo should be something else – but what?

Questions questions questions. Track bike? Nah. Cross bike? Nah. MTB? Nah. Keith was actually happy to build any of those but the latter. Luckily he put me out of my misery and started talking about an ‘all roader’, saying that these are his faves to build (in fact, if memory serves he had already mentioned that thing here and there, but being I ignored it in the first place, cos stubborn). At first I was a bit meh over this, I already have a cross-check that does all these things, I thought. Then Keith told me, “hey, you Frenchies call these bikes “randonneurs”!” Actually, we call them “randonneuses”. You know how French is very fixed on assigning gender at everything - well bikes are lucky cos they get both genders (un vélo/une bicyclette). I digress, but in the case of randonneurs, we call them randonneuses. Anyhoo. Cool story hey.

Randonneur, randonneuse. Who cares. We’re young and bold, so let’s throw language prescriptivism by the window and call this bike my Kumo rando. Short and to the point, 2X2 syllables, and it even rhymes. Next time I’ll talk about the frameset and the components, but for now here are some pics.

It started with the fork:

The stem came quickly after that. Note, a 31.8 clamp with a design inspired from a 26.0 clamp stem:

Haha, and I didn’t even explain how I settled on the rando/all-roader/randonneuse. Keith’s powers I guess.

Yup

And subscribed…

I read this with a French accent. It was beautiful.

Noice, 650 or 700?

I’m surprised Ezylee hasn’t asked what colour - maybe he already knows :wink:

Liking this a lot.

Edit: and which bars have you selected? also doing steel stem but that design doesn’t work with the bars I have picked :frowning:

Looking forward to seeing this develop…

Looking forward to the development of the all-roadonneuse.

Be sure to drop the BB by 1mm to feel the powahhh.

…subscribed.

It’ll be 700c, although I’ve agonised on that question, and still agonising (but not changing).

For the bar I’ve picked these Ritchey Classic bend:

They look great, have a very short reach and a shallow drop but their bend is ‘classic’ in that it’s roundish, more so than a compact bar. Also, for this bike I wanted a bit of chrome. I love the Nitto noodle bars but I was risking having a reach a bit too long, and we’re already running a stem that’s as short as can be.

Oui oui oui!

Your post about handlebar bends sent me off searching.

Found this, http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry/

Interesting read and the images are great to get a visual of what’s happening with each type of handlebar.

c’est tres bien, n’est pas…

I always figured people went with a custom frame because what is available off the shelf doesn’t meet their requirements, now I know it’s because they like pretty things!

Look forward to the build!

This is great.

Yes, I found this post a couple months ago when I was looking for bars for this bike. Very cool hey!

It’s a mix of the above, plus other things. I remember reading Keith’s blurb a couple years ago where he explains he started making bikes for himself because he couldn’t find bikes for his size, being a tall bloke. I’m a shortie and this resonated with me as I had trouble to find an off-the-shelf bike I liked and that was my size when I arrived in Oz, they were all to big. Also, getting an Aus made frame by a good guy was very appealing (attraction of exoticism etc etc).

And this.

Okay, time for an update.

My all-roadonneuse wants to travel. So she’ll have S&S couplers so I can take her apart, put her in a very expensive case and we can jump on a plane together. Then I can put her back together and show her to my mates and family, who will be very jealous. Then I can go ride on my favourite Pyrenean roads.

Keith had to modify his coupler gig to get more clearance for brazing:

Then fillet brazed the couplers. Here, the downtube coupler is being done:

Both are now on. Starting to look like a bike!

Here’s more pics. Quite a fan of the front derailleur braze on:

Headbadge on headtube:

Didn’t you say bikes were gender neutral?

BUSTED!!! I don’t even think he is french!